Shipping Policies...Mini Rant

Late Night

I ordered something on line for about $20.00. No big deal. They were just CD baggy things and fit in a padded envelope. But I had to sign for the delivery. I didn't know it would be shipped that way. So, I missed the delivery and had to wait until the next day to sign for them. I was waiting for Fed-Ex and as soon as he rang the doorbell, he put a note on the door saying I missed it again and would have to pick up the package myself. The nearest office is about 45 minutes away. I ran after him and said, "Gees, give me time to get to the door!" Seriously, I was waiting in the familyroom for him to come. ANYWAY, I just went on line to order some shaving brushes and they said they only ship to where I have to sign for the package. No exceptions. I want the brushes but I won't be here to sign for them during the day and I'm not going to ask a neighbor to stand by their door for a week waiting for the package to arrive. Is this becoming a standard way of shipping now? I hope not. Okay, I feel better now. :meditate:

I ordered something on line for about $20.00. No big deal. They were just CD baggy things and fit in a padded envelope. But I had to sign for the delivery. I didn't know it would be shipped that way. So, I missed the delivery and had to wait until the next day to sign for them. I was waiting for Fed-Ex and as soon as he rang the doorbell, he put a note on the door saying I missed it again and would have to pick up the package myself. The nearest office is about 45 minutes away. I ran after him and said, "Gees, give me time to get to the door!" Seriously, I was waiting in the familyroom for him to come. ANYWAY, I just went on line to order some shaving brushes and they said they only ship to where I have to sign for the package. No exceptions. I want the brushes but I won't be here to sign for them during the day and I'm not going to ask a neighbor to stand by their door for a week waiting for the package to arrive. Is this becoming a standard way of shipping now? I hope not. Okay, I feel better now. :meditate:

We used to ship whatever way the customer wanted until last year. We no longer use FedEx--because of their lack of communication we lost 2 really good customers. They were suppose to deliver some supplies to me for those 2 customers. I had to sign for them and I wasn't home. When I returned home I saw the post card about having it redelivered. So I picked a date I could be home and called them, they set it up to be redelivered to me. The day before it was due to arrive, I took a chance and went online to see where the package was---just to do it. Guess what??? Those idiots totally disreguarded the notes in the system about my packages and they sent it back to the supplier. Talk about fuming mad??? Oh no, more like I wanted someone's head on a silver platter! This is the 2nd time they did this to us. We use USPS and UPS only now! I send things out with like a delivery confirmation and the big ticket items I do make peeps sign for because I have had peeps say "I never received it". Bolognie! The things peeps will do to save themselves money:angry2: .

I think that the FedEx note that they leave when no one is home has a place on it for you to sign; that authorizes them to leave the pkg without signature. And, as I recall, you can set up with FedEx to have that policy in place for all pkgs. The driver's computer lets them know that no signature is required.

The FedEx guy must hate me. He ALWAYS goes to my neighbor's house. For a long time she accepted the packages, but always told him that I lived in the next house. Then one day she decided not to accept the package (because it was rather large and heavy) and told him that he had the wrong address. The fool (Mr. FedEx) didn't even try to get the package to my house, he just returned it to the sender and said that it was refused. This happened several times (I can really understand my neighbor's reluctance to constantly accept my packages). Now I have to really want something to order if it ships FedEx. And I let my neighbor know before hand so that she can call me when she sees the truck pull up in her driveway.

I don't work away from home but just as sure as I step out for a minute, they will come! Or God forbid I don't make it to the door in 10 seconds. This company (FNWL) sends their stuff using UPS (I think) so I'm not sure of their signing policy. They also said I'd have to pay a penality for having it sent back to them and restocking or whatever. It just bugged me because I shopped for them, got my charge card ready and didn't find out until I went through the shopping cart. I was going to get 30 of them. It's a busy time of year so maybe I'll wait til I'm snowed in in January to order. Or order from someone else. Not earth shattering but just aggravating.

In the 6 years I've been pouring candles I've never had a problem with UPS or Fed Ex delivering my supplies. I'm home most of the time and my stuff is either on my front porch, or somewhere in the front of the house. We used to have our garage door up all day and both would unload cases of wax and jars and stack them in the garage. NEVER had to sign for anything. Now, USPS around here is a joke. I ordered Christmas gifts from amazon.com and was told they would come in 2 different shipments USPS. First shipment was delivered on my front porch and the 2nd shipment was sitting on top of our mailbox which is NOT in front of our house. We have 3 mail carriers on our route and depending which one is on that day we never know if we will even get mail. Our post office is so screwed up it's pathetic. :angry2:

I had this problem with FedEx, too. I work at home and was expecting important papers from work and they left a note on my door. I did sign the back of the thing so they could just leave it from then on. Problem was, I work 3rd and sleep during the day and apparently slept through them knocking, but I had a big covered porch that was actually my daughter's toy room they could have left it in. Anyway, now that I've signed that paper, they just leave things on the porch on in between the doors.

Stephanie

I think that the FedEx note that they leave when no one is home has a place on it for you to sign; that authorizes them to leave the pkg without signature. And, as I recall, you can set up with FedEx to have that policy in place for all pkgs. The driver's computer lets them know that no signature is required.

Yes, there is a short form you can fill out that will release all "signature required" packages to be left if you are not there. Either ask a driver for one or stop by a Fed-Ex depot and get one.

We've considered going the route of sending ALL our packages signature required because the 'scammers' or whatever you want to call them have gotten much smarter.

In the past four months we've had two chargebacks through our merchant account...both supposedly for non-delivery. In both instances, the USPS Delivery Confirmation showed the package as being delivered, but because they weren't signed for, we lost and their money was refunded.

The dollar amounts weren't huge, but the $30.00 each chargeback fee was a killer. :angry2:

I feel your pain! You know, we even gave them many chances and they still screwed up. We went with FedEx to decrease our shipping charges since they are cheaper than like UPS....well....you know that old saying "You get what you pay for?"....yea well...you get my drift? I would rather pay more for shipping and know that my customers and I will be half way taken care of.:wink2:

The FedEx guy must hate me. He ALWAYS goes to my neighbor's house. For a long time she accepted the packages, but always told him that I lived in the next house. Then one day she decided not to accept the package (because it was rather large and heavy) and told him that he had the wrong address. The fool (Mr. FedEx) didn't even try to get the package to my house, he just returned it to the sender and said that it was refused. This happened several times (I can really understand my neighbor's reluctance to constantly accept my packages). Now I have to really want something to order if it ships FedEx. And I let my neighbor know before hand so that she can call me when she sees the truck pull up in her driveway.

We've considered going the route of sending ALL our packages signature required because the 'scammers' or whatever you want to call them have gotten much smarter.

In the past four months we've had two chargebacks through our merchant account...both supposedly for non-delivery. In both instances, the USPS Delivery Confirmation showed the package as being delivered, but because they weren't signed for, we lost and their money was refunded.

The dollar amounts weren't huge, but the $30.00 each chargeback fee was a killer. :angry2:

I understand that, I really do. If I was given a time or at the very least the day it's to be delivered, I wouldn't mind that. I also understand signing for really big ticket items. On the other hand, if you send your products to be signed for and the customer signs a form saying its okay to be delivered without a signature, what is the benefit of you sending it signature only? Yikes, I think I have the mind of a scammer! :cool:

What good is it for the supplier to send something signature required when the customer can get around that. The customer could still say they did not receive the package, even though it had signature required.

Signature required is to make sure the package was delivered, the time delivered and who signed for it. So that way the customer can't say it wasn't delivered and try to get their money back or do a charge back.

I don't like that policy Fed-Ex uses. It's worthless to show any proof of delivery.