CalWax CB3 users

I started out really digging this wax. Now my 8oz masons have holes around the wick no matter what size I use. Its seems that this wax cannot get a wick big enough for it. I single wick them. I have tried RRD's, Hemp, Eco with no luck. Should I add stearic acid? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Seattle, Do you mean sink holes? I have always had to do repours with this wax. Although, I get hidden air pockets -- not open sink holes. Or do you mean tunneling down because the wick cannot burn all the way to the sides? If this is the case, I have never been able to single wick this soy. However, I never tested it in the masons, but this is because I pretty much knew that it would be hard to achieve a complete meltpool with this wax. This soy really is hard to get out to the sides.

I still use the CB-3 soy and still really love it....can't give it up, but it does have some quirks....I guess like all soy and even blends.

I use different wax in my one wick jars.....either CB-30 (Calwax), thier new Accu wax, or Taylored 50/50. I have had the Taylored 50/50 from testing so I still use it from time to time.

I am sure this did not help you much. Once I know exactly what you mean I may be able to help. If it is sink holes/airpockets I have heard that stearic can help but I have never tried it.

~Holly :)

Hi Holly. Thanks for coming to my rescue. Its the tunneling around the wick that I cant master. I used a HTP105 yesterday and got the "best" result, meaning not so good. It left about 1/2" on the sides after a 5 hour burn. Im going to try the HTP1212 next. I really llike this wax and lets face it, us West Coasties can't be too picky since we're really limited to local suppliers!

I am shifting back to the CB30 today. It seemed to give me minimal problems but I still have 3 cases of the CB3 to contend with!

I may play around with double wicking larger jars with the CB3 since everyone seems to eventually go that route. What jar are you using?

By the way, BCN has Vanilla Spice back in. I think you mentioned earlier that they were out.

Hi Holly. Thanks for coming to my rescue. Its the tunneling around the wick that I cant master. I used a HTP105 yesterday and got the "best" result, meaning not so good. It left about 1/2" on the sides after a 5 hour burn. Im going to try the HTP1212 next. I really llike this wax and lets face it, us West Coasties can't be too picky since we're really limited to local suppliers!

I am shifting back to the CB30 today. It seemed to give me minimal problems but I still have 3 cases of the CB3 to contend with!

I may play around with double wicking larger jars with the CB3 since everyone seems to eventually go that route. What jar are you using?

By the way, BCN has Vanilla Spice back in. I think you mentioned earlier that they were out.

You are welcome. :) I use the CB-30 for my one wick jars. It works great. It is a pretty wax and easy to wick. The CB-30 and CB-3 Soy have the opposite problems -- the CB-30 melts too fast in my double wick jars (meltpool gets to deep...so I could not use it in those) but does great for single wicked jars and the CB-3 soy achieves a nice depth for double wicking but is terrible to single wick. Maybe you can do what I do.....offer the CB-30 in your one wick jars and then have some double wick jars (for that awesome throw) with the CB-3 soy. It works great for me. I also learned (the hard way....I was stubborn) that the CB-30 is not best in large jars with corners...even with double wicking. I now use the CB-3 soy in smooth sided large jars: 10 oz. and 16 oz. frosted apothecaries.

I also use the GL-70/30 in for my colored wax -- double wicked clear class apothecaries. I do not color my soy anymore. So, I have both the CB-3 soy and the GL-70/30 for my main line. I only have limited additions with single wicked candles -- now and then -- special candles for holiday seasons.

Good luck on trying to single wick it. Let me know if you succeed. Oh, I believe stearic would not help your problem. If anything, I believe it is suppose to raise the meltpoint and can make the wax harder which would probably make it worse.

~Holly :)

P.S. Seattle, are you aware that Swan's now carries the Accu wax blend? I have used this too when they were out of the CB-30. It is very simliar. Burns really even and is very pretty wax. The scent throw may have been slightly less than the CB-30, but I don't know for sure since I did not test it with a lot of scents.

I just got two slabs of the CB-30 in (only need a little at a time), and I noticed it seems a lot harder than the batch I got last year. I still have a little left from last year and it is definitely harder. I wonder why? I wonder if they change it a bit. Not sure yet if I notice any performance difference.

Holly you are priceless and such a lifesaver. I used the CB30 this year and luckily had no problems. I even threw in HTP, ECO, and CD wicks in and they all worked great. And yes, it is a fast burning wax! I like your idea of double wicking the CB3. I love barrel jars and the CB30 was getting too hot too quick. We do fundraisers every year with the candles so luckily nobody's too picky about what it looks like, but I am;)

I did notice that on the 2nd burn, the CB3 melted much better. Puzzling...

Have a great Holiday!

Hey Seattle.. I am just curious if you guys have tried to purchase Golden Brands 415, or 444? I live in Southern California and I am able to purchase it from one the Mid West Suppliers that is able to ship VERY inexpensively.. It is going to cost me about $44/case SHIPPED for 10 cases.. You can PM Jason here or go to Golden Brands website and call him directly for the info on that supplier.. If you use larger quantities, you can save a ton of money! I have paid a minimum of $19/case for shipping alone from Peaks for my GB415. Pm mme if interested and I will get you the information. I am at work and going blank on the name right now! HTH

Teri

Holly you are priceless and such a lifesaver. I used the CB30 this year and luckily had no problems. I even threw in HTP, ECO, and CD wicks in and they all worked great. And yes, it is a fast burning wax! I like your idea of double wicking the CB3. I love barrel jars and the CB30 was getting too hot too quick. We do fundraisers every year with the candles so luckily nobody's too picky about what it looks like, but I am;)

I did notice that on the 2nd burn, the CB3 melted much better. Puzzling...

Have a great Holiday!

Ah, shucks, you are welcome. :o:wink2: I am glad that the CB-30 is still working well for you. So far so good for me too. Yes, it does burn way to fast for double wicking. The CB-3 Soy is great for double wicked jars. It would be perfect in your barrel jars. Although, I can't remember how wide they are. If the jar is too wide the CB-3 will have a little trouble getting to the sides even with double wicking.

Thanks and have a great Holiday too!

Hey Seattle.. I am just curious if you guys have tried to purchase Golden Brands 415, or 444? I live in Southern California and I am able to purchase it from one the Mid West Suppliers that is able to ship VERY inexpensively.. It is going to cost me about $44/case SHIPPED for 10 cases.. You can PM Jason here or go to Golden Brands website and call him directly for the info on that supplier.. If you use larger quantities, you can save a ton of money! I have paid a minimum of $19/case for shipping alone from Peaks for my GB415. Pm mme if interested and I will get you the information. I am at work and going blank on the name right now! HTH

Teri

Hi firegirl, thanks for the info. The thought of even changing wax at this point makes me cringe. :tiptoe: :wink2: I think I may have a sample of the 415 but never got around to trying it. I am really happy with the CB-3 soy. The 415 would have to pass the test before I would even consider making a change......even with the great shipping. I will look into it. Please PM me with the info if you can with the info. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I am late to the discussion but the master wax craftsman at Calwax quit in October/November 2005 (he went to some big company up in San Francisco but I don't know which one). I can only assume they are going through some apparent growing pains... but as a devotee of their wax I am planning to stay with them through this transitional time.

I personally do not like Accu-blend wax but the master craftsman there is also a former Calwax director, and he formulated most of the waxes they still sell today... in case you were thinking of trying something new.