A request I received today

Ok, my boyfriends mother asked me if it would be possible for her to save the jars from my candles, give them back to me to "refill" and then resell them to her. I guess I have no problem doing this for her, but I would warn her that the jars are used and she should be careful. I've used testers over and over and over again with no problem what-so-ever.

But it got me thinking how others might like this as well? Especially after the jars start piling up. Would it be safe to offer a "refill kit" with a wick, and prescented, precolored wax chunks that they could melt in the microwave (I use EZ Soy). This is a good idea but it has some kinks, but I'd like to offer some type of way to re-use those jelly jars.

Love to hear some thoughts on this!!

Kelly P

Personally, I reuse jars for testing, but I would never refill a jar for a customer. Because of the heat temps it has sustained, you can't be sure that it will hold up to the temps again. Not saying a new jar wouldn't break, but less likely than a reused one. As far as a refill kit, I wouldn't, for many reasons, but that is just me. :D

I agree with Kaybee on the refill kit. Giving people wax and saying "heat this in the microwave" is asking for a disaster. Generally people who don't make candles don't even burn them properly....so most likely wouldn't heat wax in a microwave with any precautions.

As far as refilling the jars for them. I have only done that for testing but have never refilled a used jar for anyone other than myself...not even for friends to test.

I definitely do the re-cycle thing! I offer my customers $1.00 off their next candle for returning the jar and lid when they are finished with the candle. I even clean the jar up! I use soy wax, so clean up is easy! I don't think it hurts to use the jar over and over as long as there are no cracks in it. You would be surprised on how much you save by doing that! Also, it gives the customer an incentive to buy more! HTH

Merry Christmas all!:D

Most of the jars are not any different than canning jars! I have been using my canning jars for years with no problem! Think about it, they get hot too! As long as you know what to look for and check them before you use them!

As far as the refill kit, no I don't think that would be a good idea! It could be dangerous for some people not knowing what they are doing!:undecided

Not with customers, but I would offer it to the boyfriends mom. I do that with my sisters. As long as they pay for the wax I will do it. They are technically my testers so they can reuse the jars. You can usually tell when the integrity of a jar is starting to change. It feels thinner between your fingers. Think of it this way. A lot of these jars are the same structure as a glass drinking glass. And we dishwash those over and over. A dishwasher reaches higher temps than candle wax so I wouldn't worry about it.

Just make it clear that after a while they wear down so it will be time to replace it.

Just doesn't seem professional to me....even for the boyfriends mother.

I think we, as professional chandlers, need to keep thinking of ways to "raise the bar" and do things that promote us in a positive light. "Refills" are not the way to do that, IMHO.

I was trying to think of anything and anytime that any business offers "refills".. and trying to think of an instance I would think it to be professional....Umm I guess Dennys does it for coffee.....but Starbucks doesn't:wink2:

For those of you that are doing it, I am NOT slamming you for doing it your way.....just commenting that it would not be something I would ever do.

It seems that offering a "deposit" for used glassware would be a good way to get people back for another candle, as long as it were tied to another candle purchase. I wouldn't want a situation where I offered $1 a jar and have someone bring me a bunch of used jars just to cash in, like I used to do with pop bottles back in the '70s. As long as it generated another sale, I would take back my used glassware and recycle them as tester jars. Eventually you break a few over time, and some you just throw out for whatever reason. I would refill a used jar for my family, and am doing so right now, but the jars are the thicker pressed two-piece terraced jars, and I carefully inspected them before refilling. I wouldn't even consider refilling a thinwall blown one-piece jar, like the ones imported from China, or refilling any jar from a customer. New jar all the way.

your geek :cool2:

I don't see a problem with it! I don't use cheap jars from China and my customers love it! And no, I don't cash in a bunch of jars at a time either!

I only take them off a candle order (usually it's 1 for 1). To me it's like recycling. I use the Square Mason jars and I would hate to think someone would just throw them away after they burn the candle up. I guess it's everybody's choice as to what to offer their customers. I know I have a lot of regular customers because of the offer I make!

I think we, as professional chandlers, need to keep thinking of ways to "raise the bar" and do things that promote us in a positive light. "Refills" are not the way to do that, IMHO.

I was trying to think of anything and anytime that any business offers "refills".. and trying to think of an instance I would think it to be professional....Umm I guess Dennys does it for coffee.....but Starbucks doesn't:wink2:

For those of you that are doing it, I am NOT slamming you for doing it your way.....just commenting that it would not be something I would ever do.

When I was growing up they were re-use soda bottles. You'd bring them back to the grocery store, get a small amount of money back and the bottles would be re-used. But then recycling came along and I don't think you can do the bottle return thing anymore? But then again a lot has changed since I was a kid. :)

Gas stations offer refills if you buy thier mugs. I know it's not the same but you got me thinking about a completely different topic now. Lol. I do have a touch of AADD. I will post more if I think of them! :):)

Also, if I didn't mention this I use the Jelly Jars which can be used in canning and are very sturdy and very thick. I would imagine these wouldn't break very easily at all. I've done test burns in the same jars over and over again with no problems. I have yet to break a jar, that isn't to say it wouldn't happen, but it could happen either way (I think someone mentioned this).

The way glass is made is extreme high heat to sand, so it should be able to withstand a little flame, regardless if it is the first time being used or the 5th time.

I don't think I would re-use other types of candle containers but the canning jars, really got me thinking about it. I still don't know and keep arguing back and forth with myself on this one.

However, you all are right, the refill kit idea not the best idea. I was just brainstorming! But I bet there are refill kits out there! I could see maybe selling wax refill for candle warmers though. Pour the wax chunks in the used jar and set it on your candle warmer! I doubt the warmer gets hotter than a dishwasher.

How 'bout this one- (I'm still scratching my head). Some of the candles are a granulated, pre scented and colored wax. And the dreaded refill and build your own kits. My SIL gets the "real" candles from the same company, but she's never gotten one of the weird ones lol.

http://www.morethanacandle.com

-Kristi

I like their 1oz FO for 5.95. Wow, what quality you must be getting. Right?

Just an FYI....maybe the Starbucks where you live doesn't do "refills". But the one that is located inside Target close to where I live does.

Maggie

We do the refill thing as well...only for local orders, family, and friends. We have been doing it for about 5 years and haven't had a problem yet...knock on wood. The only thing I would not do is use candle glass from someone else. We only do the refills for customers who bought candles from us and they have to be our jars. We have a distinct mark that let's us know if the customer is bringing back our jar to us or someone else's. The reason for this is because we extensively test our jars under intense heat conditions. Therefore, we know we are offering a "safe candle" to our customers. If the jar we receive back doesn't have our mark we won't refill it.:highfive:

Ok, my boyfriends mother asked me if it would be possible for her to save the jars from my candles, give them back to me to "refill" and then resell them to her. I guess I have no problem doing this for her, but I would warn her that the jars are used and she should be careful. I've used testers over and over and over again with no problem what-so-ever.

But it got me thinking how others might like this as well? Especially after the jars start piling up. Would it be safe to offer a "refill kit" with a wick, and prescented, precolored wax chunks that they could melt in the microwave (I use EZ Soy). This is a good idea but it has some kinks, but I'd like to offer some type of way to re-use those jelly jars.

Love to hear some thoughts on this!!

Kelly P

I do the same as Motherofalltrades! The jars end up costing me more than a dollar after shipping and so I don't end up loosing any money and people love the fact that I'm recycling the jars! Never had a problem and have been offering the "recyling program" for 2 years!

Mama;)