Layering candles....

I am thinking about layering a votive with different colors like a candy cane or something. I this sea of vast knowledgable people.. hehe When do you pour the second color? I know you can't wait too long or it won't come out the the mold too easily but if you pour too quickly it will just blend with the other colors. Argh! :P

Thanks

Lisa

UPDATED - Also when would I put the wick in, first color pour?

Well if you want a sharp layer (more distinction between layers) wait till the layer has sunk and the nipplish looking thing starts to form. If you don't want distinct layers, wait till the layer has set up a little bit, but still has some wiggle to it, and pour. Just don't wait till a layer has hardened and will come out of the mold, then you will have waited too long, if that makes sense.

The wick - That depends on whether or not you're using wickpins. With a wick pin, the wick goes in the hole the pin left when you pull it out of the finished candle. However, no matter which you use(wick pin or tabbed wick), it needs to be put in the empty mold, or immediately after the first pour. I prefer first :)

As for when to pour the layers... what Scented said. ;) But in the end, you'll have to try it yourself to get the feel of the timing and adjust it to get the end result you like :)

Every wax will be different when it comes to layering. I use a harder wax that works great for layering. A good starting point would be to let the wax completely set up. If you find that your wax pulls away from the mold and the second layer is bleeding into the bottom layer then try pouring when the mold has cooled. If you're still having problems just keep shortening the time between layers. Don't forget to keep good records. If you're not getting a clean crisp line, a trick I've learned for the second layer is to pour a thin layer let that completely set up then finish the second layer. This works great when making red, white and blue votives.