details on testing

I am getting ready to start some container candles and I really don't know where to begin. I know I need to test them but I don't really don't know how. Everything I read says to test the wicks, fo, and waxes but what is the exact procedure for doing this. Any suggestions would be great.

Basically you just need to choose a wax to start with, and decide what container you want to use. Based on that wax and the diameter of the jar, choose a wick size (most suppliers have some kind of wick size suggestion chart on their site to help you). Remember the charts are just a starting point, but those suggestions will vary depending on the type of wax. Most scents will burn pretty similar with the same wick... but there will be certain scents you'll have to adjust wick size on. Like patchouli for example, that's one that usually needs a bigger wick. Keep a notebook to write down your wax, jar, wick and scent. Also write down the proportions, such as how much fragrance oil you added to each pound of wax. Dyes can affect the burn in some cases too, so note those also.

Once you get the candle made, let it cure before test burning it. With paraffin most people only cure for a couple days or so. But with soy most people wait at least a week, many wait 2 weeks. The basic rule of thumb is to burn 1 hour for each inch of diameter, so if your jar is 2.5" then you want to burn it for 2.5 hours. It should achieve a full side to side melt pool in that time and be giving off a good scent throw for a reasonably sized room. If it isn't getting a good melt pool and is leaving wax around the edges, chances are you need a bigger wick. That's when the fun begins... time to start over and try again with another wick! Don't forget to document your testing, write down how long you burned it for, what size room you burned it in, how well the scent throws, etc. I have a testing worksheet here that might help. Once you get it burning and throwing good, give a few to friends to test for you and get their feedback too. The best way to learn is just to try it once and then come back with questions. Get your feet wet and then you'll have a better idea where to go from there. HTH!

Wow, this was very helpful for me as well!!! THANKS!!! I am also about to start with container candles and had no idea where to start...now my question is, if the wick isnt the right size, do you have to take all the wax out and pour in a new batch? Or do you have to use another container? Just curious cause it seems as if it would be A LOT of wastage.....I have some containers that I would like to try, but I only have a couple and I dont want to use them all on testing and have none left to sell....what do you guys usually do?

TIA:D

Joni

I don't think I would move too fast based on this information. Your first, sometimes second, and many times third burns are in no way indicative of how your candle will burn. Your first burn especially will tell you basically nothing. You will need to burn your tester top to bottom to get an idea if it's wicked correctly.

Also, if your container is tapered, and even if it isn't, going by this information you will most likely get much too large of a melt pool and a very hot container by the time you're half done or toward the bottom.

Your best course of action is to pick a single container, choose a variety of wicks and start somewhere, anywhere, keep very accurate records, and start testing. Yes, you can melt the wax, pull out the old wick and insert a new wick. But remember, you must test from top to bottom, so any wax used in the test burns will need to be replaced.

"Sell" is a word that should not even been in your vocabulary at this point.

Take your time and keep GOOD records. A sheet with the date made, formula used, fragrance, fo supplier, color and wick is what I use. My sheet then has lines where you add the date, time span, wick and a place for notes. Candles are burned and notes recorded before the candle is burned again. Sometime that can be a pita when you get busy. I have 12 now I'm testing and need to burn but need to get the notes from the last burn recorded. I've found a good mp at the first burn gets me a hot candle and burning too fast at the bottom. YOU have to decide what you want in your finished candle and adjust things to get it. When you finally get it right and start selling.. being able to talk about why your candle is better because of what you learned testing gives people a confidence in your product. They won't forget you if you slap one together and it burns poorly.

Most containers are reusable- you can stick it in the oven on low until the wax melts, then dump whatever was in it into a paper cup. Then you can turn the container upside down over a paper towel on a baking sheet and put it back in the oven to get all the rest, wiping it out with a paper towel afterwards (a lint free one is best- try Bounty). Then you can rub the whole thing down with rubbing alcohol to get out anything remaining- ta-da, container is ready to be used again. So yes, you'll use up your wax, wicks and FOs testing, but fear not about containers! :D

-Kristi

Thank you. This is wonderful timing for me too. I poured my first real candles last night. They're just 4 oz jelly jars, 100% soy, no fragrance, with 3 consecutive sizes of wicks. I bought thte supplies months ago, but have been avoiding using them cause there are so many unknowns.

After 24 hours of no electricity due to a storm last week, I decided unscented utility jar candles was a good place to start, lol.

Edited with a question: Is the cure time needed because of the fragrance or because of the wax itself? Do I need to cure if no fo is added?

Diane W