ventilation or exhaust for workspace

Hillary

I'm so excited, I'm finally moving to the basement. I'll be able to leave my stuff out and get to work with out unpacking 12 boxes of stuff. Here's my dilema... my DH tells me it's necessary, in his opinion, to get an exhaust fan or some kind of ventilation first. There is no window to open so a plain fan won't do. Anyone else worked this out with out spending a fortune? I'll have a door but no sceen door, and I can't leave it open when I'm working (way to cold). I'm open to any suggestions. I just want to get pouring down there. Thanks :)

I am in the basement, also. I just have a large floor stand fan. It blows away from my tables towards the stairs. It works fine for me, but there's no one upstairs, either. The cats don't seem to mind - they are usually on the second floor in my bed!

I have a respirator on my wish list for 2007. http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_992.asp?desc=Reusable+Respirators+%26+Supplies

Thanks for the replies. I might have to think about a respirator. I think for now though I'll just crank the fan and then get some kind of exhaust fan installed in the near future. I 'm just so glad to have the space I'll find a way to make it work! :)

Fresh air is really important when you're working with fragrance oils. Would it be possible to install an exhaust fan on any of the walls? If not, what about installing one on the exterior door?

I got my respirator at Pep Boys, the auto supply store. It was $20 and it works great.

I don't know exactly what causes the problems, but there have been threads here about health issues related to breathing the FO fumes. I think candlenose is just saying that the fumes might cause her to be more susceptible to a chest cold, not that she caught it from the fumes.:)

I work in the basement as well and when it is warmer, can open the storm doors. I have a screen door on the inside. In these colder months I have to tough it out. I might try a fan to blow away from the work area, thanks for suggestion. I've also used a face mask in the past and that helps.. as does keeping your nose away from the top when adding fo to wax. I too can get quite a cold when the weather is changing and I make candles. It tears up the sinuses somehow and it can be a while to get over. The Fall scents with the cinnamon and spices get me the worse.