Label help

Guest EMercier

Guest EMercier

I had some labels designed for me and at first I used the full sheet glossy label and cut them by hand. I recently bought the correct label (2 X 2), well I printed them to see and they are off. How do I format them to work correctly? I really need help as my show is Saturday and Sunday and I thought this would be a quick fix.

I bought the 2 X 2 injet labels from Planet Label. TIA!

There's a lot of factors here.. off vertically, horizontally, or both?

If off horizontally, it's the software (what are you using?) and should be able to adjust within the program.

If vertically, well, it could be either:

a) the software (same as above)

or B) the paper... is the back waxy? The rollers may not be grabbing the sheet correctly. Is your printer a top feed, or bottom tray that pulls the page up? Mine is a bottom tray feed, and I had problems with it grabbing the paper properly do to waxy backed paper.

Could be due to many factors, like Gravity said. It could be your printer, the labels themselves or maybe even your software. It is hard to say, unless you gave more info.

Guest EMercier

When I first put them in blindly, it was all over the place. Then I figured it was that I didn't have it in the paper tray correctly. I fixed that. I changed the margins and looked again this morning, they are too high up on the label. They need to be moved down. I don't know how to do that. These were done for me, supposedly to fit these labels, but they weren't. I hope this helps.

Did you try aligning the printer with a label sheet? Mine prints out a grid that you can adjust the setting based on where the grid prints on the paper. My mistake was aligning with plain paper, then trying to print labels.

Is your paper setting on label or specialty paper or something other than plain paper?

My printer specifically says to put some plain paper in the tray under the label sheet (I use 5 sheets of plain paper) and only feed one sheet of labels at a time.

Sounds weird, but try printing one row of labels at a time instead of the whole sheet. If I print one row of clamshell labels, they print fine. If I print a whole sheet they are off.

Try an aluminum foil hat - keeps gremlins away! :D

What program was used to create the labels?

Did you switch which end of the sheet you place first in the tray? It may sound stupid, but I found that the 2x4's that I use from Online Labels had a fraction of an inch difference in the top and bottom margin of the sheet.

I kept getting results like you are having and could not figure why things were so messed up. Then I measured, and discovered their sheet did not have an even top and bottom margin. I started feeding the other end first and it solved the problem (but not until after I wasted several sheets of labels).

Guest EMercier

Try an aluminum foil hat - keeps gremlins away! :D

That's funny! I laughed when I was watching Signs.

I didn't get a grid, but maybe with the template I can print the lines and see. I measured last night and I got it almost centerd.

I don't know what program was used. I had them done for me. I'll try the grid and see what happends tonight. Thanks!

I had the same issues...tried everything under the sun. Finally gave up and print all mine on full sheet and cut out by hand. Wasn't worth the huge headache it was giving me. But then I am not a tech-y type person and had no desire to try reprograming the entire printer to get them to print right on. Even talked to the person who does my other labels and she said there is no way to get the accuracy to print on precut labels if you are using anykind of color background or border on your labels...of which I am. So back to fullsheet and cutting out by hand (the round ones) All the rest I use a old time school style paper cutter.

I ordered labels from OnlineLabels and just had to send back 3 packages of 100 each as they were way off! I thought it was my printer, ME or anything till I got out a tape measurer also and saw that they were cut wrong and way off. One side on the top was one measurement, the other side on top was a completely different measurement, hence, why they didnt print right!! They just sent me replacement labels and the measurements are better however, they are still off!

I can print on Avery labels just fine but these round ones from OnlineLabels are terrible. I am going to have to go with a different supplier for my gold foil labels for my laser. Out of a sheet of 12, IF I am lucky, only 6 will print ON the label but still not perfect! That is such a waste of money! It is NOT because they are foil as I can do Averys address labels just fine. When I print out a test sheet on plain paper first, the print is exactally as it prints on the label sheet! Do be sure to calibrate your printer if you are able to. It helps a little!

Good Luck!

I had the same issues...tried everything under the sun. Finally gave up and print all mine on full sheet and cut out by hand. Wasn't worth the huge headache it was giving me. But then I am not a tech-y type person and had no desire to try reprograming the entire printer to get them to print right on. Even talked to the person who does my other labels and she said there is no way to get the accuracy to print on precut labels if you are using anykind of color background or border on your labels...of which I am. So back to fullsheet and cutting out by hand (the round ones) All the rest I use a old time school style paper cutter.

I found a variety of different diameter paper punches to use for cutting out my round labels (3 inch). What a time saver that turned out to be! You might want to give it a try.