Crafty's Simple Beginner Soap ?

izzy2

Ok I punched the numbers into the lye calculator on the sage and it come up with this:

For the size of fat batch that you are using, we recommend that you use approximately 8 to 12 fluid ounces of liquid.

Is this the amount of water I should use? And what number should I use, the high one or low one? And what difference does it make using high versus low number?

And for the lye these are the numbers that come up:

0 4.75

1 4.70

2 4.65

3 4.61

4 4.56

5 4.51

6 4.46

7 4.42

8 4.37

9 4.32

10 4.27

How do I know which one to use?:embarasse

Thanks for bearing with me.

Ok I punched the numbers into the lye calculator on the sage and it come up with this:

For the size of fat batch that you are using, we recommend that you use approximately 8 to 12 fluid ounces of liquid.

Is this the amount of water I should use? And what number should I use, the high one or low one? And what difference does it make using high versus low number?

And for the lye these are the numbers that come up:

0 4.75

1 4.70

2 4.65

3 4.61

4 4.56

5 4.51

6 4.46

7 4.42

8 4.37

9 4.32

10 4.27

How do I know which one to use?:embarasse

Thanks for bearing with me.

Yes, that is the amount of water (or liquid) you use).

Because you are just starting out, I would recommend using the higher amount of water (liquid) that the MMS lye calculator is recommending (12 oz for the size you posted).

And for the lye discount, I would go no lower than 5 and no higher than 7 (for now). 5% lye discount is 4.51 oz of lye and 7 is 4.42.

Make sure you take notes and good luck.

Regarding how much of a lye discount to take (and how do you know), that depends upon what you end up being most comfortable with. If you use a zero discount, the soap will be harsh, too harsh to use on skin IMO (but it makes a good laundry soap). The higher the lye discount, the more "free" oils there are (unsaponified oils). You don't want to go too high, because then you increase the chances of your finished soap getting DOS (dreaded orange spots).

I would say most soapers use a lye discount of 4-7% range. Experiment on your own and see what you are most comfortable with (just don't go too low).