Getting your customers to follow the adventure!

Fire and Ice

I've been spending a great deal of time reading throught the F/O area of this board because I'm getting a yerning to try some far more complex scents that what I normally carry. I want to broaden my sights a bit and get a few of the more exotic scents in.

But I'm wondering if my everyday customers will go along for the ride.

It's not like I plan to wipe out my whole scent list and start over but frankly the basic scents just are not driveing ME anymore. I want to thin out a few of the basic like some of the bakery scents and few of the standard fruit scent and test out scent like:

Maduro

Citrus and Teak

Citrus and Bergamot

Bay Rum

And so on. How would you sneak scent like this in? I can think of several scents I can eliminate but I want to do things carefully so are not to upset the hundreds of customers I've got.

I'm sorry but Cotton Candy doesn't do it for me.

I have to keepo the same jars (pint mason jars) because I have people who marathon burn their candles and I knowe these jars are safe and availbe locally to me. I can't afford testing new jars right now though I've thought about tins as well.

Any advice?

Fire:cool2:

i would get some samples of the fragrances you want to add pour some tealights and start sending a couple hear and there to customers let them know your trying out new scents that way they can smell them and you never know they maybe ordering them from you the next day you can also try to get some feedback off them. but atleast if they have something they can actually smell they may be willing to take a chance

I would try out one or two scents at a time, maybe every other month or so.. ease them in. If you do votives give them a sample votives to try out when they place their next order and be sure to followup and see how they liked the new fragrance.

I've been doing the same thing with trying to get some new fragrances. It seems to be working well.

Kim

I like the idea of votives available, and market it as new scent of the month. Names don't mean much to me as a consumer, the scent grabs me. I was in a Tommy Bahama store in Key West and the fragrances they had in their store were fabulous (your scent choices remind me of that store).

I have one shelf on my display dedicated to new fragrances.

It is the second one down, holds 11 fragrances. Most people start there sniffing. My market seems to like the different. Plain vanilla, lavender or cinnamon does not sell as well as the more unique like tiramasu or dragons blood. The DB is actually one of my best sellers because it is soo different.

I don't make tealights or votives. I do however make clamshells. This is hard because no matter, what I still have a customer or two who what the Cotton Candy and they're generally store customers, not craft show customers. My area is saterated to the max with candle makers and I'm the one who now set the standard because I never sit still with my scent list. I'm constantly updating and introducing new scent every several months. I change the names to keep everyone guessing what the scent is and where I got it. Reasearch and development is year round and I follow my instincts. But it's a very fine line I walk because if I go too far, many customers will walk away. Still, I carry over 50 scents.

Funny, I have a scent called Key West!

Maybe in the new year I'll get back into some clamshell exchanges and let you guys be the judge. I trust all of you before I trust my own testers!;)

I'm constantly updating and introducing new scent every several months.

That is a contradictory statement. "Every several months"? No such thing.

Is it every month?

Several months a year?

I'm the one who now set the standard because I never sit still with my scent list. [

If you are already setting the standards, why the question?