School Holiday Shop results

Trae

Not as good as I'd hoped. I've been going to this school for about 4 years and always did around $800. This time did $425. Last year I came home wth any item over $5, so this year I brough only $5 & under items. I sold out of my mini flip flop soaps which were $1 and also firestarters, which were 2/$1. Sold out of soaps that had lizards and bugs in it. Yesterday the school called me and asked if I had anymore "dollar items". Didn't know this was going to be a dollar store! As I was leaving after breaking down my display, I gave the woman in charge my inventory sheet and she asked what percentage I usually give and I told her 10%. That's what I was told was a suggested donation when I first started going there and it's been that way ever since. This woman with her started on this rampage about how 10% is ridiculous, that's way too cheap, it should be 20-30% blah, blah. So now they want to up it next year. Well, I don't know that I'll do it next year if they up the percentage. Especially if they only want to sell dollar items. I thought it was pretty rude of the woman to say that in front of me because it wasn't a fundraiser, so the donation should be whatever I want it to be. I made more off my home show with 20 people than I did in 3 days at that school so I might think twice about it next year. At least I made something!

i've noticed recently when it comes to donations you are no longer the one who chooses how much you donate... we donate to breast cancer reaserch, and the state police every year. every year they call us and we pledge $25 cause for some reason there's no way to donate less than that but whatever. then they send us a 'bill' with a date on it. if you don't 'donate' by then they start calling and their worse then bill collectors

Would think those looking for donations would be grateful for anything they get. Expecting and demanding is a quick way to turn my cheerful giving into looking for another cause. You paid an entry fee and the profit is yours, would think you 'owe' them nothing. The gift is up to you. I wouldn't do the show again and would probably send them a polite letter explaining why I made that choice. The people running the show might not be aware that the 'greed' is what turned your heart away from the cause and their show.

Would think those looking for donations would be grateful for anything they get. Expecting and demanding is a quick way to turn my cheerful giving into looking for another cause. You paid an entry fee and the profit is yours, would think you 'owe' them nothing. The gift is up to you. I wouldn't do the show again and would probably send them a polite letter explaining why I made that choice. The people running the show might not be aware that the 'greed' is what turned your heart away from the cause and their show.

I agree with this....a gift is just that..a gift, they shouldnt even be expecting anything from you. I was listening to a news cast the other day about how people are complaining that rich ppl dont give enough, one guy was worth billions and had given over a billion $ to charity and some guy was telling him that wasn't enough...How much is enough? I think people are just getting really greedy. I dont give as much as I used to because people just keep bothering me for more....now a days if I do give it is anonomously. That way I can still consider it a gift and not feel pressured into it. As it should be.

Sorry about the rant, this issue has been bugging me for a few days...

Kim

It also sounds like the promoters are not doig their job.. only things uder $5 selling.. it is turning into a flea market and most crafters want nothing to do with these. They have not [it appears] done anything to insure your success and profit then turn around with an open hand. I too like to give annoymously because I'm not much into getting any credit for it. But turn around and tell me it wasn't enough... :angry2: wonder what the woman with the mouth is giving??

I can understand wanting alot of items for $1-$2 because parents don't give the kids much money to spend at these things, but they do have a parent shopping night which is where most of the higher priced items get sold. However, to tell me I should be donating almost a quarter of what I make when they are only pushing dollar items is absurd. If I wanted to run my business off of dollar items I'll go to a flea market. I guess they expect me to make 500 flip flop soaps so they can get a decent donation. My kids don't even go to this school so the fact that I'm an outsider making any kind of donation should be enough for them. Don't think I'll be going back next year.