Lip Balm Question

Kelly

Am I correct to guess you are having the same prob as another poster is having with not being able to smell your balm? So you are wanting to add fragrance as well as flavor- correct? I know some are thinking ' it's not purfume for crying out loud' Lol... but then again... it COULD be. :D And it's very common for customers to pull off the top and sniff just to see if it will temp them even more. Am I right? I just want to help clarify for you since this has been coming up... but I don't know the answer. But if we all understand what you are asking exactly some one might have an answer for you yet!:D The only thing I would suggest is perhaps adding an Essential Oil. This would be lip safe & add taste as well as fragrance in most cases, but not all.

p.s. it's not so much about 'lip' safe, as it about ingestibility. Soap fragrances are safe for your skin, but you couldn't eat them. Anything for use on the lips has to be assumed you will be injesting it.... just in case.

Good luck.

As Blazerina suggested, not all essential oils can be used safely in lip balms, but some can. You'll have to do a little research on which ones are safe to ingest and use on skin. For example, peppermint eo is commonly used in lip balms, but many of the cinnamon ones will burn the skin. And be careful on your usage rates too; be sure to keep those at safe levels! :highfive: hth

Actually the reason I asked this was because I was reading at a different site some recipe and it said Frangrance Oil, as long as it was body safe and I thought that didn't sound right, so I just wanted to check here because everything I've read here and at my supplier site said that was a 'no-no'.

It is true though, that my lip balms are pretty weak, but I'm letting them cure in the hopes they will get stronger. I read on this site that sometimes curing will help. I try to keep my flavor oils 1% or less and maybe others are adding more to increase the scent?

Thanks for the responses though. I appreciate it. :)

Thank goodness that you received a quick NO! Body safe does not mean that it is safe for human consumption.

Well I was pretty sure on my own that either the recipe was wrong, assumed you knew what they meant, or they were crazy. But I just wanted to make sure here, that I wasn't going crazy. :)