Heating Temp For Wax ????

Could someone tell me how to determine how hot to heat the wax? I've gone by the suppliers heating and mixing instructions (example: J223 - heat wax to 200 degrees, add scent and color pour at 180 degrees, GW444- heat wax to 180, color and scent let wax cool until thick and slushy before pouring), now I was told that you only heat the wax to the pour temp or just above. Which way is right??? Any info is greatly appreciated.

I've never seen anyone recommend taking soy over 200*. I don't think it hurts to do so briefly, but it can affect the color of the final wax product if heated that high for too long.

On 444 soy test candles I've found that heating between 185 and 195 helps the smooth tops, and of course soy needs to reach a certain temperature to help the FO bind to the wax.

I have not had good results with heating to and mixing at just above the pour temp, but have read that others do.

That to me is the most interesting part of testing. What works for someone else doesn't always work for me. I don't know why there are so few universal factors involved - it's a mystery to me.

I find it odd and frustrating how so many different variables can work for the same wax. You would think that the same wax from the same manufacturer would work the same for everybody, but no...just to make things interesting throw in location, humidity, temperatures ect... and now you have a whatever works for you factor! How do these big companies keep things so consistant, don't they have to ship their product all over the country? Don't these variables affect them?:confused: Sorry didn't mean to mindlessly babble! :o

I find it odd and frustrating how so many different variables can work for the same wax.

I used to get very frustrated when I was first starting and just wanted a formula for the perfect candle, but now I think of it as the "theory" part of the science part of candlemaking.

It appeals to my inner child, who likes to ask, "I wonder what happens if I do this?"

I'm amazed at how much I really don't know...lol. Before I joined this board, I kinda thought I had it all together... then I start reading the posts and wind up scratching my head and saying " I didn't know that" !

What I'm gathering from the posts is that there isn't a rock solid "heat to" temp so, at the risk of sounding completely brainless .... is there something specific that you look for when your testing that indicates that you need to heet the wax a little hotter to begin with and also, is it different for paraffin. I had been using mostly veggie blends, then found the Gw444 (love it) but would like to at least have a little working knowledge of the other waxes.

Thank you so much for your reply. I tested three different kinds of wax, playing around with the initial heat temp and I have to tell you, I'm sold on the lower temp. 1 batch I heated to the higher temp, the others I only went to 175 - 180 and what a difference. The batches with the lower temp all look really good, smooth tops little shrinkage ... nice. The other one isn't so nice. Wow, who'd a thought just a small adjustment would make such a big difference! By the way, these waxes are veggie blends and 1 was paraffin/soy blend.