Need drill bit & tap for Presto!

Hi everyone, OK I finally decided to do the spicket on my pots, only thing is, Home Depot & Sears doesn't carry the 19/32" drill bit or thread tap to match. I could use some help here! Could someone PLEASE tell me where to find these. I'd really appreciate your help! :highfive:

I know somewhere in the archives it is discussed about the drill bit being different. I would look up the links for you but I just got home and am being very lazy at the moment. If you look do a search I'm sure you'll find the info your needing.

You won't find a 19/32 drill bit at a hardware store - they are "hobby" bits. You can use 11/16. Don't worry about the tap - the aluminum is soft enough that you can create the threads by twisting the parts in the pot.

HTH,

Alex

This will depend on what size fittings you will use. I assume you're going with 1/2" pipe fittings. If it's 1/2", the drill should be 23/32", and the pipe tap will be 1/2"-14. I'm getting this information from the machinist's handbook, and just to clear up any confusion, I'm a machinist by trade. I got mine from Ace hardware here in PA, but if your's doesn't carry it, look for a company that supplies machine shops. Your biggest problem will be how to hold the drill. I have a lathe, and was able to turn down the end so I could hold it in my drill press. Some machine shop suppliers sell drills with the shank turned down.

If you want my advice, scrap the presto pot & get a Surf & Turk electric turkey fryer. The pot already has the spigot. Best investment I ever made.

Fredron

Hi everyone, OK I finally decided to do the spicket on my pots, only thing is, Home Depot & Sears doesn't carry the 19/32" drill bit or thread tap to match. I could use some help here! Could someone PLEASE tell me where to find these. I'd really appreciate your help! :highfive:

If you happen to live near Conroe TX, Rex tool supply is where I got mine. Otherwise it's pretty easy to find a supplier in the phone book. I would offer to mail mine to you but I used a little smaller bit. I did as someone else suggested and used the nipple to create the thread. Mine ended up crooked but it works!