Wicking Polycarbonate Molds/Paper-Core Wicks

Jaye

I'm hoping (actually, praying!) that some of you experts can help me out. I'm having a nightmare of a time trying to find a suitable wick for a few molds that I have recently purchased from Candlewic. The main one I'm having problems with is a pyramid which is 9 inches long and 2.5 inches at the base. Using flat braid 27 ply and flat braid 21 ply (twisted) I get an ENORMOUS flame. I contacted Candlewic and they suggested using the LX series. I tried the samples they sent me, but I still got the same problem - a huge flame, with mushrooming. I then tried using zinc core wicking, but just ended up with dripping and a big mess. I even tried buying a taper candle and pulling out the wick to try that in my mold, assuming that a taper would have a smaller wick... STILL a huge flame! :embarasse

I had a look on Candlewic's wick guide, and the wicks with the smallest flames seem to be the paper-core series. Have any of you used these wicks with these molds? I was planning on ordering a spool and going to pick up it up today, but just wanted to find out in advance if this would be the right wick to try. I use 4045H wax. Thank you! :smiley2:

I would suggest you're on the wrong track looking for different wicks.

Flat or square braids are fine to use with polycarbonate molds. Some of those molds are sealed simply by tying a knot in the wick and pulling it tightly against the opening, so square braid might work a tiny bit better because the knot can be a little fatter without having to tie something fancy. The square also stands a little straighter to avoid drips if that's an issue for the shape you're working with.

You have a lot of wick sizes to choose from besides the ones you tried, so use the smallest one that works. Wicking a shape like a pyramid is going to be a compromise. At the top it's like a taper. It will burn down quickly and the flame will grow. If the burn rate is too low the candle will drip at the top, so what you probably want is the the smallest wick that doesn't drip. At the top of the pyramid you want to see a cup-shaped melt pool. If the melted wax bulges up, the wick is too small.

Using a higher MP wax will allow you to use a smaller wick, so 4045H is probably a good choice. You could even try an additive to harden it up slightly, but I think you could get an acceptable result without one.

For a project like this it's helpful to have a variety of braid sizes on hand to test with. If you want to build a collection without having to buy a mile of every size, you can get small quantities from http://www.onestopcandle.com.

HTH.

Yet again Top, you have come to my rescue. I can always count on you and/or Donita to know exactly what to do! Thank you so much for sharing your expertise, and also for the link. I'm about to order a variety of the smaller wicks that One Stop Candle have. Candlewic are also sending me some other samples to try. Looks like I'll be able to give away draped layer pyramids at Christmas after all! :cheesy2: