Wax Facts

Where can I get some information regarding soy wax,vs. veg wax vs. bee wax vs. parafin?

Doing craft fairs for my first year has been alot of fun, I have met some super people (crafters) and heard pros and cons of wax types and use and benefits - would like to get the real facts.

Examples: Was told that burning parafin candles will kill a pet bird? There are many more but you all get my drift.

Thanks so much

Andi Wood

Was told that burning parafin candles will kill a pet bird?

Only if it flies directly into the flame and catches fire.

Soy candle makers have a tendency to bash paraffin to make their candles sound better. Just do your homework and be honest about your wax vs. others.

Oh, and just because someone posts information on their web site doesn't mean it's true.

Here's a good place to start: http://www.igca.net/

Try a couple of other websites too. There's one I believe titled Get the facts about wax ... somewhere I have this link, but I know there's a CT member who owns that site to and perhaps she'll step forward and say something ... and there's also the National Candle Association.

You're people are behind the times if they're talking birds ... things have evolved to ruining oil painting now and respiratory benefits lol. Pretty soon soy will keep your lawn mowed perfectly and paraffin will kill it.

You're people are behind the times if they're talking birds ... things have evolved to ruining oil painting now and respiratory benefits lol. Pretty soon soy will keep your lawn mowed perfectly and paraffin will kill it.

:highfive: Too true. Last weekend I ran into my first soy candle vendor in my area...they haven't caught on here so much yet. I watched her dipping a stir stick into the still lit candle and then smear it on the customers hand..."you couldn't do this with regular wax" I heard her say as I walked away.

Janette

Well they're probably doing that stuff here, but I haven't seen it. Pray I don't. I may shriek in horror of them doing that.

OK here's a website w/ some good info. Hope Cet doesn't mind me reposting it.

http://www.geocities.com/get_scent/getanswers.htm#paraffin

Where was this when I joined on the old board...rofl

Very helpful info for a noob!!

Only if it flies directly into the flame and catches fire.

Actually, where birds are concerned, its not that simple - and its not just a soy vs. paraffin issue. Birds have extremely sensitive respiratory systems and people should take care of burning anything around them. Please see http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Discussions;action=display;num=1107998786;start= .

If any one wants real info about this - please go to an avian vet (not a general vet). But, like I said in that post - people are free to believe whatever they want.

HTH