Scent throw discussion

Crowded House

What do you consider to be a minimum adequate scent throw?

How long do you think it should take for a candle to fill a 15x15 room with a scent?

How large of a room do you think a 6oz-8oz candle should scent?

If a scent isn't "knock you down" strong but can still be smelled when you walk into the room, do you consider that decent throw?

Of course when I make a candle I'm shooting for 'knock you down strong'. But IMO if you can smell it when you walk into the room and it's very subtle I would call that adequit. ~not great, but could suffice depending on the scent.

If it's noticable and really adds to the ambiance I'd say that's a good throw.

As far as sq ft, I have no idea. But I figure it would take a couple hours to get a good melt pool going so that's how long I would expect it to take to get a good stink going, lol.

But what do I know. JMO

Your question is VERY subjective. What scents and smells strong to me, may not be strong to you. I don't think you can rate a scent by an area 15x15 or etc. If it smells "killer" to you, let your friends test it. I was reading the post about "favorite" scent suppliers. No two were alike, and the ones I LOVE are not mentioned much. You are the candlemaker, pick what you like and what you think is strong. IMO, Carole

Your question is VERY subjective.

I agree. If it were objective I could have just looked it up. ;)

Just wanted to see what others felt was a strong throw, "good" throw, etc. I had a woman tell me the other day that she waited for a candle to scent her room "for a good half-hour, almost" and that she was disappointed. In my opinion that's not even long enough to get a good melt pool, let alone scent the entire room.

Of course, that's just my opinion. ;)

Where you put a candle in a room determines the throw as well. I place mine away from the down vents so when the system kicks in, it pulls the scent accross the room. Have a table right above a down vent and nothing 'throws' on that table.. eveything gets pulled straight down. With a very large farmhouse I like to smell the fragrance when I walk into the room. Some take 30 mins some more to get enough of a melt pool to get that fragrance out. I look for the ability of the fragrance to be noticed when you smell it.. some are too subtle even closed in the bathroom. Personally I like a kick butt cold throw.. that is what gets them sold. I have a vanilla that has awsome throw but is very subtle cold... can't sell it because of that. When it's all said and done, go with what you're happy with and with what your market desires.