high end mixing combos?

ubure

I'd love to offer some suggestions, but I'm not sure what you mean by upscale... as opposed to what?

The only thing I can offer is... the last batch of soap I made (scented in Lily of the Valley) resulted in some failure for layers to stick, so I kept the bars that stuck together and remelted the rest- but I thought it would only be a bit so I didn't mind tossing the Lily of the Valley scented stuff in with my coffe and cream batch I was melting. I figured if it was overtly floral-ish I'd call it some clever name having to do with flowrers and coffee... Well it turned out to be more than I thought and it smelled like super sweet coffee- like flavored International House coffee in those square tins. So i a made of few experimental bars and moved on to the next experiment... with some left over of THAT base....this one was to be a kitchen/mechanic type soap with lots of different scrubbie additives and I figured this was manly so I added Sage, sweetgrass & Ceder FO- this is all on top of the lily of the valley and Freshe Brewed Coffee mind you. And guess what? It smells really great! I think the coffee disappeared beneath the lily and the ceder... it's clean and yet not overly floral. Not too sweet... very fresh. It reminds me of something you'd buy soap wise that just smelled good and didn't really have a specific scent. I don't know if that's upscale though... to me it was just a lucky break that I got usuable experiments, lol.

I haven't tried my hand at mixing (yet) but I do know of some really interesting oils. Greenleaf sells a FO called Maduro which is quite nice and different. Their desciption: "Sultry scent reminiscent of after dinner rooms reserved for first class on the Titanic. Earthy, rich teak wood, cognac and a faint hint of tobacco hanging in the air. Archipelago Botanicals Havana® type". Just by Nature also has this FO, but it is not called Maduro, it is another name and I can't recall it.

Also, you might check out Candle Cocoon's site. Their oils are exquiste. I am always looking for interesting oils, I get tired of the same old thing all the time. Good luck!

Ah...Rodeo Drive...I'm coming!;)

No, I do not mean especially expensive oils (I'm using Candle Cocoon, Scent Works, Sweet Cakes & Co. already), but interesting mixing ideas, something special you don't find at every corner shop. Something that also Votivo, Archipelago etc. would use. As an example: I used to sell Pacifica candles (they are very special and awesome), and they had combos like Ylang Ylang and Lavender, Mandarine Lime (which is Mandarine, Lime, Basil and lavender), and they have the best spicy and woodsy scents that I've ever smelled. If someday I am able to do such candles I've reached candle nirvana:D

I hope I've explained a little better what I mean - sorry for being so unspecific:embarasse

So for instance are you opposed to mixing your own?

And toss in Oregon Trails. They should be at the higher end, doesn't necessarily mean they match what you're trying to get to, but was thinking to get there you may have to start blending your own ... like 3 parts this guy to one part that guy with a pinch of this guy.

Is the same client as the upscale underwear place? If not, maybe they can help you.

Okay, I'll stop posting now. I don't know what I have done to get your sarcastic replies but I surely won't let you make fun of me anymore.

Thanks to the others for your help, I really really appreciate it!

Good luck,

Inez

Hi Inez,

I'm with you. I love to mix up fragrances into something new. I have a few scents I use as basic mixers that seem to jazz up whatever I add them to. Ambra del Nepal, Vaniglia del Madagascar, Mysore Sandalwood, Cardamom, and Hawaiian Black Ginger (all from Scent Works) are fabulous additions to many other scents. There are several EO's I like to use, too, to add a little something to a fragrance. Most notably are: 5-fold orange, lemongrass, spearmint, lime, and litsea cubeba.

Here are two quick recipes I recently devised for woodsy Christmas scents:

1) Canadian Balsam: 1 part

Ambra del Nepal: 2 parts

Here the Canadian Balsam is a masculine top note, with the Ambra being a rich, smoothing base note. The full-bodied Ambra envelopes the brisk pine scent of the Balsam like an aura of golden warmth. I'm going to try this one in wax because it smells like "Christmas" to me. A touch of red currant or cranberry FO would be nice with this blend, too.

2) Canadian Balsam: 1 part

Ambra del Nepal: 2 parts

Mysore Sandalwood: 1 part

The addition of the sandalwood cuts through Balsam pine scent until it's barely discernable after dry-down. It lends an earthy, vanilla-like sweetness to the top note, and softens the heavier, amber bottom that was apparent in the first recipe. This is a very sultry, unisex scent that will be good for all year round. I'm currently using it as a linen spray, but will put it in soap, too.

Happy mixing! :)

I know what you mean by "high-end"... they tend to be more complex and unique blends that are not main stream.

Some of the ones that I have seen recently (just to get the wheels turning) are:

Jasmine and a berry scent (like Raspberry, Strawberry, Blackberry, etc.)

Rose & Pomegranate

Pineapple & Nutmeg

Basil Thyme

I commend you on blending scents. It is a fun challenge to come up with something unique and your own opposed to using a scent that anyone can buy.

Have fun!

Jennifer

Ubure:

Pay no mind to that sarcastic, somewhat bitchy comment by...well, I don't need to tell you who. She's always got something bitchy to say, just take a gander at some of her past posts...I'm sure you'll find many of the same type of remarks. The other folks were probably just kidding around...but I'm sure she wasn't. Don't let her stop you from asking questions, just ignore her because she's got some sort of an attitude problem.

Ubure:

Pay no mind to that sarcastic, somewhat bitchy comment by...well, I don't need to tell you who. She's always got something bitchy to say, just take a gander at some of her past posts...I'm sure you'll find many of the same type of remarks. The other folks were probably just kidding around...but I'm sure she wasn't. Don't let her stop you from asking questions, just ignore her because she's got some sort of an attitude problem.

Thank you for your support, that's great! Well, I will ignore these kind of posts and I understand if somebody is kind of joking on this but it doesn't hurt. It's a joke after all and I like laughing as well (hopefully I'll be the one who is laughing the loudest in the end...hehehe!:cool2::cool2::cool2:.

Jennifer and magsglass,

thank you for these mixing ideas - it's exactly what I have thought of and it gives me a direction!:cheesy2::cheesy2: