Another Snowman jar??

2 problems

I made Frosty and he is cute.Did the marker thing and works for one brand marker(permanent marker).One from Sharpie did not rub off the one from BIC did.Doesn't make sense.I thought maybe BIC was not a permanent marker but was.So Sharpie it will have to be or paint.My friend came by and I was showing her the jar and suddenly looked and Frosty had a place on his scarf that was missing.She said you have red on your thumb.WHOOPPPPPS!!!!

Another problem and have no idea WHY?I put his top hat on when I lit the candle and it went out."OUT" in less than a minute.I thought he could wear a hat when burning but guess not. Showing my friend and WHOOOOPPPSSSS no flame.So I light it again to start testing and melt pool(without his hat).So far so good. Oh and then I took the hat and put on a 8 ounce mason jar that had a flame almost to the bottom.Flame was not at the top.Immediately it went out.

We buy these toppers for our candles to re-sell but are they working?I haven't sold any but do have some.Will try them but now I cannot figure this out. I got some with stars and hearts for my mason jars.I will test those but do any of you have this problem? I am doing just what I do with any other candles I make and fine as long as you don't put a top on them.

This should not be happening.What should I tell people"Frosty cannot have a hat on while burning.I do know they(toppers) can get super hot but people will try it.I might need some special instructions for this or is something wrong with my candles.Never had problems before and did nothing different.

I am sure most of you have tried or use the toppers once in a while.How are they for you???? I thought you could use them during burning.Just have to be careful and not pick up when the metal is hot.Isn't so for me.

LynnS

Lynn

I have used the candle shade toppers like you (with the stars and hearts) on my mason jar candles and I have used the witch hat toppers for my pumpkin jars and I have never had a problem with them. I actually find they burn cleaner with the toppers since obviously all of the soot catches in the top.

I have the snowman jar and the hat, I will have to try it and see how it does for me.

I have occassionaly run into the problem where a wick here and there will not light or stay lit. Try your other toppers and see how those do. Maybe there is not enough oxygen getting into the hat to stroke the flame.

Thank You

I have made the pumpkin jar candles too and no problem.I use just a med wick and it catches up.I am able to put the hat on.My friend even mentioned she could too when she got a pumpkin candle.

I am using a large wick.I need a X-large.Maybe this wick is just smothering.I don't know..I did get the hat on yesterday after it burned down some but the flame was real LOW.So now the candle seems to not catch up when burning.Burning down the middle.No choice have to go with X large wick.

I tried to SEARCH where I can get the larger wicks but for some reason my search isn't working.Only part of the window shows and cannot type my question.Need a X large wick and find them soon.

I'll have to try the other toppers and please let me know how Frosty burns for you.The pumpkin hat is fine for me.For the smaller mason jar toppers I'll try those.I have never been so puzzled but Frosty is a big candle.He is going to take some work and won't be long till Christmas.I have 2 local suppliers I will check for the X large wicks but if they don't have them then it will be 5 days till they get here.

Thank you again.

LynnS

I will let you know how they do when I actually make some more. I have been busy making electric candles and have not had a chance to do anything else. I have a show tomm.

As for the wick solution....where do you live and who do you get your wicks from? I have only them heard them referred to as smalll, medium and large at the craft stores. I use the CD wicks and sometimes zinc from Candlesandsupplies.com

Country Creek,

I agree,on wick size. I only hear of small medium and large but have a large in the snowman jar.Checked the size and it is 62-52-18 cotton wick.So now I will burn it and see how long it will take to get a full melt pool.Last Night I didn't check the time but seemed to be 3 hours and just starting to get a bigger melt pool.I buy from At Wix End, Candle Source and Candlemaker Store (and that was also there biggest size) so gotta make it work.2 wicks would not do it.Way to much IMO.

Problem is when it starts getting down the the widest point the melt pool takes forever.Will see if it catches up.Hope people will burn these a long long time.Holidays probably will.

Can't get any bigger wick than this.Biggest size at 2 companies.

I understand what you mean busy.I just did my crocks and want to start some mugs.Then got stumped on Frosty.I won't give up.I think he will be a seller although the cost to make him with wax,jar and FO might be more than what people will want to pay in my area.

LynnS

Good Luck with that. I have seen a frosty candle at some stores selling for about $25.00 so ya never know what ppl will pay if they absolutely love something.

I am really frustrated with these electric candles, I thought they would be a little less hassle than they are. I am having trouble removing them from the molds. The first snow man I did cracked when I pulled it out. So I am starting over.

Wish me luck!

I have never had any problems with wicking.Always right the first time.Thought with the crocks a problem but the melt pool caught up and it is clean.Hang up in the beginning.

Not sure I know anything about the electric candles.Would have to research those and see how they are made.I do know without PAM I would have tarts etc. stick.That has been the best thing to get small things out of the molds and it doesn't take much at all.A very light spray.My tarts and special tarts that are big just fall out of the mold.

Good luck.Aren't these snowmen bears.Cute as they can be though.In fact one year I had some crafts with a snowman and Santa Claus and everyone wanted the snowman.

LynnS

Guess I will burn my snowman candle for 3 hours.Not much longer.I have to sleep.I want to get it down pat for a show in a 9 days.It is FREE so cannot beat that.I am sure I will make my booth FEE.

Good Luck with your show!!!!:D You sound like you have the heart to get it done and that is all that it takes along with the patience to test and test and test! Did that sound repetitive? Hmmm.

Well I hope you get a good burn with Mr. Snowman, it is no surprise to me that they sell better than Santa. I like snowmen better than santa too!

That is just me though. I started another thread asking about the leaking fo's but I only have one candle to base it on. Raggady Dani said that it could be the vanilla based fo and of course that is the fo I used. Go figure.

So another vanilla problem????My first problem with that scent was for MP soap.SO never use a vanilla with MP soap because it will turn the ugliest color.Mine at first looked like a pinkish.Thought that looks OK( but I used no color).Before long(maybe a couple days ) the soap was a ugly brown.That was my first time with MP soap and also chose the wrong scent.

I will say a vanilla is the strongest candle though.I had one on my candlewarmer for almost 2 months and just slightly started losing scent a little at a time. Ended up throwing it away.

Frosty is burning but only for about another hour.He is starting to get a melt pool. FINALLY.If I get to talk to customers then I can explain it is a big candle but used the biggest wick.Best to burn for a some time to get an even burn.All I can do.Hey people buy candles all the time and lose about all the wax but this one will be long burning and people will get their money's worth. Just might take awhile.

LynnS

I figured out what I was doing wrong with the molds, not letting them sit long enough before I popped them out. Although some of them are still leaking a tad. As far as the snowman jar........I have to explain to my customers about the big 21 oz bee hive jar from C&S b/c they burn hot the first couple hrs but once they burn down to the second ring they start evening out and they burn beautifully. Since the wick is too big for the small mouth but big enough for the base ya have to sacrifice a little to get the result ya want. I am glad to hear it burning better now. Keep me posted.