Dumb question....

lpoitras

I have been doing this for almost a year with pretty good results. But now that I am making more candles at a time I decided to see exactly how much melted wax I am getting for 8 oz of flakes and it is only 5-6 oz melted. Have I been measuring my FO wrong all along? I was measuring 1 lb of wax (flakes) and that is how I was adding my FO, usually 1.5 per pound. Should FO be measured for dry flake weight or melted wax weight??? So far they smell okay but just want a formula that is right. Don't kill me all at once.

Quite serious. I measured it by dry flakes and that is how I measured my FO. I tested my wicks, etc. and had a product people seem to like. But now that I am making a lot at once I wanted a more precise measurement. I notice when I melt my flakes they never come out exactly liquid what I measured solid. I think it is because of the air between the flakes. It is always a little short. Like I said it is a dumb question but don't attack me for it.

I usually fill container with liquid first, get the measurement, then x by .89. Get your total then x by whatever % of oil your using. Subtract the oil from the last weight calculated and there you have your wax measurement.

example:

12 oz of water x .89 = 10.68

10.68 x .1 = 1.07 oil

10.68 - 1.07 = 9.61 wax

This would equal to a 10.5 or 11 oz. container.

Works for me everytime.