Kind of Puzzling - Vendor Experience

MochaMama

I had an interesting expereince with a vendor. I'm not going to blast them on the board, because this may simply be a fluke. However, I placed an order on the website, everything went through fine and got an order confirmation and everything. Later in the day I received an email from the vendor indicating that the vendor received an error message saying that the card number was incorrect. Mind you, the vendor did not indicate how to proceed, so I ask, "how can I correct this?" Of course, the email comes back, fax or email your CC# to me. I did that, (with a protected CC) and then the vendor emails me AGAIN saying that "when I run your card through, I get a message saying 'gateway declined' ref#23023808". Finally I just said forget it.

First of all, why would the card go through on the website, then not go through when she "swiped" it. Aren't there mechanisms in place where if you put in an invalid card or something's wrong with the card then the website wouldn't allow you to complete the order?

Second, why is the vendor giving me the ref# like it means something to me? The whole interaction seemed unprofessional. I was also irritated because I was buying Virgin Coconut Oil and beeswax. Grr! If I had known that this vendor didn't have it all together, I would have just ordered it from KB!!!

Ugh! Sorry this is so long. Had to vent a bit.

:grin2:

They are giving you the reference number so you can call your bank and see what the problem is. Everytime your card is swiped your bank can see it (or so they have told me). I would call your bank and see what the misunderstanding is.

I had gone out of town once for a few days. My bank put a hold on my card because they saw a bunch of transactions popping up in a different town that looked suspicious. Small transactions were going through, but over $50 ones weren't. I called the bank and once they verified it was me using it, they took it off hold. It could be something as simple as that happening to your card.

I know I ordered something from Lotioncrafters once and she ran my card twice and it said something similar to yours. She thought maybe she had the wrong expire date or something so she called me. I told her all the info was correct. She ran the card a 3rd time and it went through. She said she didn't understand it and that maybe her gateway was doing crazy things. She also told me she doesn't run a card more than twice because every time she enters it, it charges her. When I told her all the info and numbers were correct, she said she'd run it one more time and if it didn't work I could use another card or call my bank. That's the only time I've had that happen to me. So, you might give your bank a call and see if they can tell you what happened based on the ref. # she gave you. Good Luck!

First of all, why would the card go through on the website, then not go through when she "swiped" it. Aren't there mechanisms in place where if you put in an invalid card or something's wrong with the card then the website wouldn't allow you to complete the order?

:grin2:

I know I can only speak for my own website but I am sure others are like mine as well. I take CC's on my site but they have to be manually processed. I do not have a real time gateway because I don;t know what shipping will be until I have the order packaged and sent off to the carrier. That is likely why it "appears" it went through even though it did not.

I know I can only speak for my own website but I am sure others are like mine as well. I take CC's on my site but they have to be manually processed. I do not have a real time gateway because I don;t know what shipping will be until I have the order packaged and sent off to the carrier. That is likely why it "appears" it went through even though it did not.

Ok, I can understand that - not having my website up (yet) I didn't know the ins and outs of merchant accounts!!:grin2:

They are giving you the reference number so you can call your bank and see what the problem is. Everytime your card is swiped your bank can see it (or so they have told me). I would call your bank and see what the misunderstanding is.

quote]

I didn't know that either. :embarasse I'd never had this happen to me before - but now I know.

I think my biggest peeve was that it wasn't handled very well, in my opinion. Oh well, lesson learned. Thanks ladies, as usual!