sales tax

malaki

when i fill out for my sales tax , do i have to pay tax if i will not be selling anything till january. i dont want to fill out my forms if i am going to have to pay some sort of fee if im not selling anything. also how do you submit you taxes to your state.thanks for any help

There are months I may not sell a thing. I just fill out my tax form with -0- sales and mail the form but do not send any money in. You don't have to pay any sort of fee to file state sales tax, at least where I live. You can file online on the Dept. of Revenue's website or you can fill out the paperwork and mail it in, either way. If you file online, your Dept. of Revenue will give you a PIN number for filing.

Hey Malaki....we are in PA also. You can file online with E-tides....and they just changed the filing system too. If you will be filing sales tax less than $300 (I believe) a year, you only have to file semi annualy. I can check out the actual amount for you though. Message me if you need more help. Where in PA are you?

I don't know if it's this way in all states, but in Alabama we must file even if our sales are zero! If you don't file you have to pay a $50 penalty--I found that out when I was in the hospital last January and sick as a dog for 2 weeks and didn't eveb remember I had a business until the first day of February. I was able to call and get the penalty waived, but it took some discussion to do so and I believe if I had been later they would not have waived it.

So my personal advice would be to wait until you're ready to sell before setting it all up--it doesn't take long at all and you won't have to bother filing with zero balances until then I do love that I can file my state tax electronically but my city and county are in the very few in Alabama that aren't set up for electronic filing. It annoys me every time I have to fill out actual paper and mail those checks! My, aren't we getting lazy!!