Made 1st soap....but it smells

cre8tivelegance

Hi everyone!

I finally took the plunge and made my first soap last night. It actually wasn't as hard as I was anticipating.....at least not the process.....finding the right oils, well, now.....that's a different story.

I wanted to make a high conditioning soap. So I researched all the oil properties and found the oils I wanted to use but the problem is.......the soap ended up stinking really bad! I even used a FO....white tea and ginger scent. Can anyone tell me which oil is causing the soap to smell bad? Here's a list of the oils I used:

Coconut Oil

mango butter

Palm Kernel

avocado

hazelnut

rice bran

sesame

walnut

thanks!

I did use a dark sesame oil.....on the can it says "pure sesame oil" and I think this may be my culprit.....it does have the same smell as the stinkyness of the soap.....will this eventually go away during the cure time? I hope so because I do like the properties of this oil but good grief....who wants to wash with smelly soap :)

Give it some time as the odor just may cure out of it. I made a shampoo bar with Neem oil which stinks to high heaven. I only used about 5% in hope it wouldn't smell as strong but at first it did. The smell of the Neem oil has finally cured out and can barely be detected.

I'm curious about something.......are there different kinds of sesame oil? I'm definitely using the darker one that is causing the smell.....but like I said, I like the properties this oil gives....is there another oil that has similiar properties but doesn't stink? One more question.....I've read a lot about coconut oil....mainly that it can be drying.....what is the highest percentage that should be used for this oil?

Thanks everyone for your responses......I appreciate the input!

Did you just use water for the liquid? I made soap twice with fruit juice and it was such a rancid disgusting scent! Oh and a soap made from beer smelled awful too!

I can imagine that a soap made with beer would smell disgusting. Beer smells gross to begin with that I can't imagine adding lye to it would improve the smell.

edited for typo