Craft Fair Results - Day One

Bev

Day one at the two-day holiday craft at the high school was dismal! Sales were less than half what they were on day one last year. I was located in the small gym in the same booth space as last year. However, this year the school maintenance dept. turned the A/C on in that gym ... and it was 30 degrees outside!!! :eek: Numerous complaints were lodged but the only explanation we got from craft fair officials was that building maintenance had been notified but there was "nothing they could do about it" because the climate control is computer programmed. Several vendors sat with their coats on the entire day. Brrr!!!!!

I can't say the extreme cold temperature was the only thing that kept sales down. I had a lot of customers coming in and out of my booth spending lots of time sniffing, then walking away. Not a lot of customers were carrying bags, which led me to believe that people in this area are just not parting with their money as quickly as they were last year. I'm sure the gas prices and the economy in general are no help. Also, the craft fair officials seemed to have lumped all the chandlers in one area, which didn't help either.

I have one more day so we'll see what tomorrow brings. At least I made booth fee plus some extra, so whatever I made is more than what I had before I started the day. Hope others who did fairs this weekend did not experience such slow sales as I did. I'll report back tomorrow ... hopefully with better news. But like I said, at least I made booth fee and some extra today. Things could always be worse!

I hope everything goes well today.

I don't do craft shows, it' still just a hobby for me but I love to read ya'lls reports on ya'lls shows. There is a huge flea market in Tupelo, MS every full 2nd weekend of the month. I've noticed that there has been a huge change in the place. I don't know if you find this true where you are, but I noticed more tables of card boxes of $1.00 stuff, puppymill puppies (breaks my heart) and also tables are selling the same stuff, there is not alot of diversity. I hope it gets better.