Mold and Amount of Oils??

Steph in tx

I have a feeling this is going to be a duh answer, but I can't figure this out. I would appreciate any and all help with this.

I have a cardboard box that I want to use for a mold. I tried doing the calculations given...but I don't think I did something right..

Can you let me know what you come up with?? I'm in the soaping mode again.....(got on in the oven now :cheesy2: )

Here's the measurements:

W- 7in

L- 9.75in

H-4in did this X's .04 and come up with 10.92 :undecided

Please explain this to me?? I know that it can't be just 10.92 ozs of oils to make my soap?? I'm really looking to do a two lb batch. TIA

Multiply by 0.4, not 0.04! Otherwise it was good -

which would mean your mold can hold 109 ounces. divide that by 16 to get the number of pounds = about 6.8 lbs. That is the maximum your mold can hold. But you don't want to completely fill the box!

Obviously more than you want. You cannot adjust the length or width, so you will adjust the height.

Use it as a slab mold and pour to 1.25" deep (which will be the thickness of your bar) and you get a nice batch that should use barely over 2# oils (2.13 lbs). Some like a slightly thinner bar at 1" - it's a matter of preference.

Make sense

Thank You, CareBear!! I knew I wasn't doing something right!! :embarasse I'm writing this whole formula down!! I am math challanged!! As you can see....and I trans pose numbers sometimes :embarasse . I was trying to figure out how big the bars were going to be in this box as well.. Now I have a starting point! Thanks for the help!

I cut the box (that was really about 6 inches tall)..and used my 2lb batch recipe..I'm not sure exactly how big my bars will be just yet, but it left me with plenty of room to do a blind swirl with ICS's

Chocolate Kisses & Sugar Milk. The top looks good, but I'll wait till I take out of the mold and cut to see what the inside looks like.

Thanks for the help again! :highfive: