Wicking for soy pillars

Would you mind sharing what size you are using in the CD's for your 4x4 pillars? Can you's suggest what size to start with for a 3 x 6? The LX's mushroom to much for me. I've been testing with cottons, I don't know if it's me or what but they seem to have a large flame to them.

Thanks

Would you mind sharing what size you are using in the CD's for your 4x4 pillars? Can you's suggest what size to start with for a 3 x 6? The LX's mushroom to much for me. I've been testing with cottons, I don't know if it's me or what but they seem to have a large flame to them.

Thanks

Cotton wicks would be too hot for soy pillars...ask me how I know :wink2:

Personally, I have tried many of the soy pillar waxes out there and due to the short burns times before a blowout, or spillage, I decided to use a paraffin blended wax. My burn time increased by 3 hours per burn; maximum burn time 5 hours, could get away with 6 hours, but I do not suggest it on my warning label. The longest burn time I could get on the soy pillars is 3 hours and then all hell broke loose with blowouts and spillage. I said all this to say, if using a soy pillar wax, wick down! Have you tried the Premier wick line? There are a ton of different sizes, and they do burn well in the soy pillar wax. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but hope this helps some!

I use KY all natural votive/pillar wax, with Creme Brulee 3/4oz pp, 3 smidgens of Ivory flakes, using 60-C, ended up with a very good throw, with 1/4" shell, no blow outs, I have burned to for 3-hrs straight, and burned the next day 5-hrs straight, and the next 6-hrs straight and so on, Like I said before, I have a large flame which I don't care for. So I guess the old saying that we candlers say, what works for one, doesn't mean it will work for you. Also the location on where one is. I"m in Arkansas and your in Mich. We arn't as cold here like you are there. I guess the weather has alot to do with on things burn. The Creme Brulee isn't the only pillar I have made , I have done Christmas Morning, Amish Harvest, Angel Feathers, Holiday Pear I'm burning now, with CD-22. It's been burning for 1-hr and 20 mins, the one thing I don't like, is the CD's bend at the tip, which causes it to not burn correctly, but I have have the large flame like I do when using the 60-C, I have tried the the 51-C, the flame dies out in the first hr or 2. The Premier Wick I thought you had to buy a thousand at a time, I don't sell that many candles to be ordering a thousand at a time.

This is why I love this board all the information that we can give to eash other.

I have a question if someone doesn't mind answering, when putting your wick in your pillars and trim them, do you trim to 1/2" or 1/4" to start you pillar?

Carrie, which square braid are you talking about?