Tart Talk

Ok, I'm taking the plunge next week. I'm cleaning the house this weekend so I won't have any distractions/excuses. I've got my FO, Colors, Pot, Thermomitor, Paper Towels, Newspapers and Clamshells. All I need is the wax. I've read till I'm cross eyed and still can't figure out which one to get. I wanted to go all soy just because of the selling point but I know that is too soft for the clamshells. I want something with a good hot throw (first time I've ever said that!) and that will pop right out of the mold. Where I'm confussed is, I know tarts aren't container candles but since I'm going to pour them into a container (clamshell) do I get container wax? Any nudge in the right would sure be appreciated. See, I know just enough to be dangerous! :D

I use 4794 which is a votive blend. I add some J223 to it which is a container blend. I mix 12 ounces 4794 to 4 ounces J223. They pop right out of the clamshells. But with the combination of the two waxes it melts quite quickly in a tart burner. Hope this helps.

If you are doing clamshells, you can use your container wax. This actually makes the wax easier to break up, and the wax comes right out. I've used my container wax and a votive wax for clams, and people actually prefer the container wax. Now for tart molds, the container wax is too soft.

I use PureSoy and love it! I have had no complaints about the melts being too soft and not popping out of the clamshells and the hot throw is awesome. I have found a couple of FOs that do not do well in it, but for the most part all of my FOs from BCS do extremely well in it and some from Peaks.

Stephanie

Thank you all for the help! I went to the WSP site and they recommended their votive wax but didn't say anything about clamshells. I might be over thinking this again. I might get a little of this, that and the other wax and see what I come up with. If you smell smoke...it's just me!

416 soy tart wax from Golden Brands (I get mine from Soy Candle) is firm and can hold a very high percentage of fragrance oil. I mix it with some pillar or votive wax sometimes to get a better throw with oils that don't do well in soy, but for the most part I like the throw for this wax. It does frost, of course, but if I mix it with the parrafin, that problem is gone. I do clamshells ad tarts and this wax works well in both applcations. 416 can be a little hard to get out of the molds, but they come right out after going in the freezer for a couple of minutes.