Waxing Wicks

I was wondering if waxing your wicks would help prevent your wicks moving/leaning in pilllars? I normally wick my molds prior to pouring. They are in there really tight. However, I do notice sometimes that when testing that my wick will lean a little and have to straighten it. Is this normal? This doesn't happen all the time. Could it be the scent I'm using or what?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wendy

Priming the wick wouldn't make any difference because the wax melts off when you pour. Even special wick waxes generally melt off.

Wicks vary in rigidity so that's one thing you can consider. Regular flat ply is just about the floppiest (not that I've personally noticed a problem with it in a pillar), the fancier flat braids are stiffer, and the cored wicks are the most rigid of all.

I don't know if overstretching the wick can cause a lean in the melt pool, but let me just point out that the only criterion for success is that it ends up being straight in the candle. I make sure there some tension in it, but it doesn't have to be a guitar string to accomplish that.

I do have the wicks pretty tight. I found this happing to sometimes w/a square braid 1/0. Yesterday whille waiting for an answer, I tired to wax a few wicks. Well let me tell you...by the time i got them all set up in the mold, they were flopping in the winds...did 5 and decided to go back to the old way.

I do have a bunch of CDs that I mainly use for containers. I have some larger ones and see what they do.

Thank you for the feedback.

Wendy

They don't curl but just kind of leaning..not very much. In otherwords, it is not straight up. I am not sure what you mean by bending? Do you mean the wick has just a slight bent? If so, that is kind of what I am referring to.

The only common wicks that are suppose to stay straight in the flame are the plain zinc, cotton and paper cored wicks. Square braid bends in the flame and flat braid curls.