"frost" question, need help

That depends on what you're calling frost. I'll take a guess you're making pillars with straight paraffin and getting a mottled look. You can get rid of that with a little Vybar 103 if you'd like a smooth look. (Half a teaspoon, more or less.)

If that's not it, then tell us more about what you're making or post a pic.

What happens is some of the wax sticks to the mold, and leaves a thin residue that looks like frost on a new candle made in that mold.

Would cooling a candle to fast cause problems? Like putting it in the refrigerator?

Candles are typically kept at room temperature until they're completely cool or occasionally cooled in a water bath. The result of cooling them in the fridge would vary depending on a bunch of things, but generally it's not done. I don't have any experience with it.

The answer really stays the same regardless of what the residue is coming from. If you're using straight paraffin and you want a clear, smooth surface without residue, add a little Vybar. Also make sure to pour on the warmer side like 175 or even higher.

I pour at 190, and yes, straight parrifin. THe mold is room temp, to cold? I could heat it a little, though the polycarbonate ones not sure how. THe metal one I have I could easily heat up with a heat gun.

Nope, there's seldom a need to heat the molds, especially pouring at 190 or pouring into polycarbonate. That's about the maximum pouring temp you'd ever use except for special purposes.

What wax are you using?

yaley premium wax, not sure what it's code is, or number id. But they recommend pouring it at 180-195

OK gotcha. They recommend a high pour temp for that because the melt point is on the high side.

To avoid bubbles and other ugliness, just be careful what temp you add your FO. If you're using a double boiler, I'd suggest putting it in at 180, then stir and heat gently until it gets to pouring temp.

You aren't like sticking these into the fridge right after pouring are you? My suggestion would be to just cool them at room temp like was mentioned. Your pouring temp should be fine. I t hink you're rush cooling them and getting the frost, which is common for rustics, particularly rush-cooled.

You aren't like sticking these into the fridge right after pouring are you? My suggestion would be to just cool them at room temp like was mentioned. Your pouring temp should be fine. I t hink you're rush cooling them and getting the frost, which is common for rustics, particularly rush-cooled.

So that is how you would do s rustic candle? What is a rustic candle anyway.

Yea, I was sticking them in the fridge as soon as they created teh film on top.

Rustic is cold pour basically, anywhere between say 145-160 range with 3 T of steric in the mix. You can see them in the gallery. In the gallery look for, well dunno if Trish has posted lately, but her's or Judyvega come to immediate mind. That will give a good idea of what rustics are.

Don't try to quick chill or cool your mold. That tends to leave the frost in the mold or the outer coating. See what happens if you let it just set.

I don't use the fridge unless I can't get the candle to come out on its own after its normal waiting period. Course I use it if I'm really impatient too, but not till way late in the phase of making them.