surf & Turk fryer

OK... Call me crazy! I was SO inspired by everyone's stories with their FABULOUS surf & turk fryer, that I bought one. Well - it arrived today. I ripped the box open, planted it on the counter, then loaded it with wax. Next thing - FIRE! I was concerned about this, but everyone was swearing by this thing. Is there a special secret with heating the wax? When the heating element is turned on, the wax is directly on it. How do you melt the wax without it burning? The smell was gross! HELP ME! Please!

Did you notice in any of the threads on the Turk n Surf, that they say to add MELTED wax to cover the element first?

I remember first reporting my fire last year! I posted to let everyone know...once the element is covered, you're fine.

Whoa! I did read about adding the melted wax to cover the element first, but then someone asked about what you do when you have wax left over and the consensus was to just turn it on low until the wax melted over the elements, then turn it up on high. So which is it, always cover elements with melted wax, or turn it on low at first. I certianly dont want any fires!!!!!! I dont mind draining our left over wax each time, but it does seem like a bit of a hassle. TIA for any info!

You do not need to drain the wax each time..

Initial use... Pour melted wax to cover coils...

Second Use..... Just leave enough melted wax in your pot to keep you coils covered from the first use. (Wax will harden around the coils) Then when you need to reheat , poke a relief hole, or keep the lid on the pot or the wax will spit at ya!!!:spit:

As long as the coils are covered for a remelt you are fine...

You just can't put flakes or slabs directly on the coils...HTH

(Trish... I remember your posting last year!!!

You helped a lot of us not to set our T&S on fire!!!):cheesy2:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU ALL! No, I did not see the post regarding the initial melted wax. I was SO sad last night, because this thing was built up to be such a HERO in my mind. I am so glad that it is still going to work! You guys are great for replying with such detailed instuctions. Thanks again!

No I don't but you could. I really find that everything sinks to the bottom. AND because it is stainless steel and not black (ie: the infamous presto pot) You can really see exactly what is in your wax...... if you have anything floating around, you'll see it.

Have been running my two Turks for almost a year. Found out 2 important things to know. If you do clean it, make sure you line up the heating coil attachment to fit just right on the outside, thought it was broken, would not turn on. Aligned it and it came on. Also, this week, we filled it with wax and the "on" light was on, but no heat. We finally pressed the "reset button" and it came right on. I LOVE my Turks!!! Carole

(Trish... I remember your posting last year!!!

You helped a lot of us not to set our T&S on fire!!!):cheesy2:

Oh man...what a sight that wax! ROFLMAO

I, too, ripped into the box, set it on the counter, picked up a slab of container wax, folded it in half and put it in...

Impatiently waiting, I peeked over the rim of the turk n surf and *poof* FLAMES in my face! Unplug and run it outside hysterically...then laughed my ass off.

I learned my lesson and hoped to save everyone else some grief. :2cents: