Figuring out frangrance oil percentages

Hi,

I am wondering if I'm figuring out my fragrance oil percentages correctly. I have been doing it this way. I want 1 oz pp of fragrance in my candles so Say I am making 4 candles that I want to be approximately a 7 oz candle I would take 6.6 oz (wax) x 4 and I come up with needing 26.4 oz of wax to make my 4 candles. Then I multipy 26.4 x 6.25%. That equals 1.65 oz of fragrance that I need. 1.65 oz oil +26.4 oz wax = 28.05 (total of oil and wax combined). I then divide 28.05 by 4 to come up with the weight of each of my candles. That has each of my candles being 7.0125 oz. I'm no math wiz. In college when I took algebra the teacher had to use what she called mitten math with me, lol. Is there an easier way for me to figure this? Am I doing this TOTALLY WRONG? I know it looks confusing and I hope some of you can follow how I am doing it and give me suggestions on an easier way to figure this. I currenty make two size candles and I need a way to figure a 7 oz candle and a 14 oz candle each containing 1 oz pp fragrance oil. I want to make sure all of my candles are consistantly the same in quality. Thanks all!

Just remember that some fragrance are stronger than others and you need to adjust the % to that. For example my magnolia is way to strong and I use less than I would my lighter FO such as a rain or a light musk.

Unfortunately each FO will probably need there own % I made a chart for each FO I use and the % I put in for each size batch I make, so I can refer to it later or if I forget.

Thanks to both of you for answering my post and helping me out with this. I just wasn't sure if it was ok the way I was figuring it or not. I didn't want to be putting in way to much fragrance oil or not enough and not even realize I was figuring wrong the whole time. I thought some of the more experienced people in here might have an easier way to figure the percentages then the way I have been doing it. From the sounds of it I'm doing ok with it though. Thanks again!:)

I think I have an easier solution, and alot less work for you! If (for example) you want 6% of FO, and you are making 4 candles at 6.6 oz. each....just take 6.6 X 6% =.396 per candle...multiply that by 4 and you get 1.58 for all 4 candles. This will work so long as you are making 4 candles of the same FO of course, and you will need to change the % to suit your own needs...but the math is much simpler...IMHO.

I have found this formula to be very very helpful, posted by Donna some time back:

Here is a useful formula to determine the amount of wax you need for your available FO.

[(amount of fragrance by weight) divided by (fo percentage load you use)]

Example: you have .7 ounces of FO and you usually add 9%FO ppwax.

(.7/.09)=7.78 ounces of wax.

Hi. I guess I go at it backwards. I usually figure on a lb and the %. 16 oz. plus 1 oz equals 17. Divide 1 (oz.) by total of 17 and you get a pound of wax with 1 oz. comes out to be 5.9 % FO. I work in grams because I think it is easier as they are smaller. I figure my jelly jar as 165 gm. wax + 15 gms. Fo =180. 15 Divided by 180 is 8.3% which is almost 1 1/2 oz. per pound. I hope this didn't confuse you, but I use it to make first testers that are only 1/2 to 1/3 full to see if I'm going to like the scent throw. Your way comes up with the right amount, and if that is the easiest for you, I would keep using it. But back somewhere on this board it was posted this way and I finally understood the % thing and now find it very easy to adjust for any size candle to get the % I am looking for. Beth