why do I have granules??

hello, I am new to this forum...heck to any forum to tell the truth. I have recently switched to ezsoy(haha), and yesterday I was taking a candle for a test run and found out that my wicks were too small...but today there are white granules right under the top layer of the wax.

What have I done wrong

That is weird. I know some waxes will set up with a pitted top, or even like cauliflower. You need to zap the tops with a heat gun to smooth them out. soy is like this. It will test the patience of a saint at times. What temp did you pour at? Usually with soy you need to pour cooler to get the smoother tops. Fun, eh? ;)

Might be a case of frosting, too.... Some burns I have (I use 100% soy) set up nice and smooth and glossy after burning, some set up with a bit of frosting or a little pitting. I've (knock on wood) never had a run in with a cauliflower top.

I notice that if I pour lower than 98 then It gets a little grainy. I have been testing lately a lot of candle that are colored and colorless. I notice the colorless ones if poured at about 102-103 set up very smooth. The colored ones are more tempermental with frosting and tend to frost more in with storage. My house is always cold. I think after burning you just have to accept it. I like to go to candle shops all the time to see other chandlers work and expectations. I don't steal ideas I just like to see how smooth they pour them at. I bought a candle that was pretty well known on the internet. (No! not that one Jordan,) This was a nice candle with a smooth top and it burned beautifully, coffee sented too! After my one burn it still pitted. Its soy wax and that is its nature. I think no matter what candle whether its soy or paraffin is going to keep its esthetic quality once that wick is black and distorted.

What you should do is go to Walmart and buy those electric warmers for candles. Place the jar on top to remelt the wax. That way you won't have to worry about breaking the jar in the oven. Then repour it in a new jar that you wicked up. Just don't throw out that wax! That is what the testing is all about. Just remember to document everything.

well thank you all so much for the info. I have decided to return to "devil I know", J50 at least for this season.

I am using the soy wax to make dipped pine cones, washcloths, and holly branches, which I am going to sell, or include in some gift baskets. Also I am going to "DE-WICK" some of them and make up some gift baskets with those and a candle warmer. Perhaps I will one day figure out soy wax..but it ain't today. LOL

Also, my finished product was very lovely...just once it was lit, it turned to ...well you fill in the blank. I was pouring at about 95 degrees. Ah ha, you say!!

All I can tell you is that the Tech Support at BCN told me to do it that way....and I was ignorant enough to pay attention to what they had to say.

Ignorant is not a dirty word!

If you are talking about a white frosty ring that appears after you burn the candle, about right underneath the burn pool, then that is completely normal for soy. I dont color my soy candles, so it isnt an issue for me. :D Just wanted you to know that if that is what you are talking about then your NOT doing anything wrong. ;) It's "normal". LOL!

• 6 months later...
I dont color my soy candles, so it isnt an issue for me. :D

I have been coloring my soy, and for the most part, they come out great with no problems, but I am noticing that using red coloring to any degree, tends to get BAD frosting! It is not just the tops, it is ALL OVER the sides of the candle and I think it looks awful. The only other colors I use for the most part (so far) are blue and brown/tan and they come out great! I am beginning to wonder if I should just zap the whole coloring idea or just skip the red/pink! Soy really gets me sometimes......