scents

I know I am probably not going to like the anwser to this question but........I order my scents from Lonestar. I am just starting and I do not have the time or money to test all of the 50 different scents I bought. Is it necessary to test EVERY scent to make sure the wicks are right or does buying from the same company help at all. I think I know the anwser, just wanted some more advice. I think I have the wicks and wax I like, now just knowing whether my scents are going to work in every candle. I am using 8 oz and 26 oz jars. C-3 and eco and cd wicks.....any suggestions? I need to make all of these before Christmas 300 candles!!!!!!!!

I test every scent that I use. There really is no other way to know how that scent will perform if you don't. It may smell wonderful in the bottle, but can totally morph into not so great, in wax. You can get a great cold throw, but no hot throw. It could drown your wick. You just really don't want to be unsure of your product. Testing will give you confidence, and save your product's reputation. It would have a very negative effect on your business to sell a candle that didn't perform well, just because it wasn't tested first. I would only sell what I had tested for right now. People will only buy an inferior product once. Hope this helps.

When you pour a candle, just as it is setting up, poke a hole in it and stick a wick in that hole. Once you have determined the wick is not right, pull thewick out, and stick another one in. Hit it with the heat gun to secure the wick. That way you don't have to remelt your candle every time which will cause some loss of scent when you do that.

On correct wicking? I shoot for one-inch (diameter) of melt pool per hour of burn time. So if I'm wicking a 3" diameter jar, I should get a full melt pool in approx. 3 hours. Little less, little more -- no biggie. But if I get a full melt pool in, say 1 hour, the wick is too large. If I never get a full melt pool but instead a lovely tunnel down the center, the wick is too small.

You're checking to see if the wick doesn't clog, burns evenly, not too hot, doesn't drown out, and basically gets the job done without sooting/smoking.

National Candle Association states 1/2 inch for container candles for melt pools. I usually melt it down on a candle warmer then repour the wax in a newly wicked jar. Wicked up of course. I will exchange between two jars so I don't waste jars.

Like you said, you won't like the answer to this one. :grin2: In addition to what everyone else said, once you feel like you got the wicking right, you have to test that particular wick from beginning to end -- until the wax gets to the bottom.

I don't like remelting candles (and this is just IMO) because I feel that some of the scent is lost somehow. Like Meridith said, the best way would be to poke a hole with a skewer in a candle that has set up, stick an untabbed wick in, then heat gun it in place. Once it sets up again, you're ready to test it.

Sorry but I dont think you'll be done testing your 50 scents before Christmas.