How can I rebatch this? PIC HERE

SoapInTheCity

I made this 90% Olive Oil, 10% Castor Oil soap, a while back.....I realized the problem here with the soap was the pomace olive oil I was using. The lye and water %'s were right, but this pomace must have been just too thick or something.....Right now the soap is hard on the outside but I can grate it like cheese! Semi-soft on the inside!

I grated it and put it in this crockpot. I am waiting to hear back on how I rebatch this before I do anything with it though....how much water do I add? ETC.....????? It is unscented...........but it must be lye heavy or something because as I was grating it, I swore it was making my eyes water!

Thankyou kindly!

rebatchsmallls2.jpg

Does the soap still zap you? How big was the batch? If this was my soap ( I usually make 3lb castille recipes), since it is soft inside, I wouldn't add very much liquid to start off with. I would start with a few tablespoons to 1/3 cup and then add more if necessary. You can also take this opportunity to add any extra oils if you want. Good luck!

Honey, if your eyes were burning grating the soap, then you know something is terribly wrong. And since you feel your measurements of lye were correct, you'll really never know what the problem is. And since you don't know what the problem is, there is just no safe way to fix it. Please be on the safe side and chuck it.

Bunny, since she said her lye and water amounts were right and she said she swore her eyes were burning I took that to mean that they weren't really burning since she is not sure if its lye heavy. . If they weren't really burning - which they either are or aren't, and there isn't any zap, wouldn't it still be O.K. to rebatch?

Meridith, with her olive being thicker than normal, it may have been a bad batch of oil, or blended with something else mysterious. Knowing me, I'd play with it to see if I might be able to get it right, but I wouldn't give any of these soaps to anyone no matter what. And I don't know about you, but I have enough soap in my bathroom to keep me happy for months if not years, and wouldn't want to waste much more money on a doomed batch like this. It would more than likely just sit there and go to waste anyhow..

Eyes burning just tells me there's something major going on here, and I just wish I knew how to help her!

It is about 2 months old now..........I guess I could just try and rebatch it, I guess I could TRY and see what happens. I would never test it on someone or a family member without knowing it was okay first........

I guess I can just try and add some water and keep it on low and watch it......I can take a pic as I go along and get some pointers...

Thanks girls for your advice...........!!

Meridith, with her olive being thicker than normal, it may have been a bad batch of oil, or blended with something else mysterious. Knowing me, I'd play with it to see if I might be able to get it right, but I wouldn't give any of these soaps to anyone no matter what. And I don't know about you, but I have enough soap in my bathroom to keep me happy for months if not years, and wouldn't want to waste much more money on a doomed batch like this. It would more than likely just sit there and go to waste anyhow..

Eyes burning just tells me there's something major going on here, and I just wish I knew how to help her!

Oh I too wouldn't sell it or give it away. But I would try to save it since too I hate to see a batch go to waste and would also try to learn something from it in the process. And yes, I have more than enough soap in my bathroom too. Take one soap off the shelf and 5 more fall down on the floor of the shower. LOL It drives DH crazy. I didn't take the eyes burning statement as being serious so that is why I asked if it still zapped cuz I wasn't sure.

I know girl.. It really hurts to toss a batch. But in the case, I don't see a point in saving it.

1. I know she has buttloads of soap that rocks.

2. Using all this batch is gonna drive her nuts, and we all know, who would want to use the same scent all the time just to use a batch?

3. There would be no learning process in keeping it, as she's not sure what's wrong with it, there's no method to save it. Ok wait.. The learning process would be on the process of rebatch, but I still would chuck most of it after I rebatched it. Good practice for when she wants to rebatch an ugly colored or whatever kind of batch that is safe.

I know girl.. It really hurts to toss a batch. But in the case, I don't see a point in saving it.

1. I know she has buttloads of soap that rocks.

2. Using all this batch is gonna drive her nuts, and we all know, who would want to use the same scent all the time just to use a batch?

3. There would be no learning process in keeping it, as she's not sure what's wrong with it, there's no method to save it. Ok wait.. The learning process would be on the process of rebatch, but I still would chuck most of it after I rebatched it. Good practice for when she wants to rebatch an ugly colored or whatever kind of batch that is safe.

That is what I was meaning. But you make very good points. And they are well taken. ;)

Try an oven roaster bag, meant for a turkey or roast. Tie tightly and boil until smooth (long time). Cut the corner and squeeze the soap out.

this is how I rebatch... it's usually the next day.... but I'd put a tbs of liquid in it (I use soy milk.. .that's what i drink)....