How to make a candle w/ 2 vertical layers?

I've got a request from a shop owner for candles that should have two halves (vertical) with separate scents (brown/chocolate and purple/sth pepperminty). How can I do this?

Thanks for your help - this is so important for me because it's kind of big business:cheesy2: and I know I can count on you!

I've done it with pillars, sorta, though they didn't look all that great. Lay the container on its side, and use duct tape to cover the bottom half of the opening. It's really hard to pour 1/2 a jar at that angle, though, and you're going to get it all the way up into the neck. I had some success with a metal funnel. Once it's hardened, stand it up and pour the other 1/2. And trim off the excess around the neck from the first pour...

At least that's how I'd start out.

I thought about doing this when doing "candy corn" containers, but the layers vertically instead of horizontally: Use straight-sided containers and pour one of each color, wickless, then "unmold" (use 'fridge if needed), cut, then assemble (slight heatgun if necessary) and wick.

This should work pretty good since you are only doing two colors, but you'd have to use a wax that pulls away from the container.

EDIT - so that was my 1,000th post - what do I get for it? A slap in the face for such a stupid one ? :)

• 2 weeks later...
I thought about doing this when doing "candy corn" containers, but the layers vertically instead of horizontally: Use straight-sided containers and pour one of each color, wickless, then "unmold" (use 'fridge if needed), cut, then assemble (slight heatgun if necessary) and wick.

This should work pretty good since you are only doing two colors, but you'd have to use a wax that pulls away from the container.

EDIT - so that was my 1,000th post - what do I get for it? A slap in the face for such a stupid one ? :)

Any suggestions on how to cut the wax without getting only crumbs? I thought about hot wire, but how do I get two equal halves?

My first thought is what kind of wax are you using that you are getting a bunch of crumbs? Most container wax is pretty soft. I've only used a couple that were brittle (a mottling and a house blend), but if you can't cut it properly you may need to use a different blend. I'm thinking of all the soys I've used also - any of them could be cut. (First thing that comes to mind is refrigerate them to get it out, then let soften and cut). As far as the mechanics of cutting it properly the same time every time you may have to rig something up or maybe someone who is mechanically inclined can chime in.

Sorry but I didn't suggest it to give you headaches, but if it were me (I'm an impatient sort), and if I was going to make money on it, I would look into just getting a mold custom done. I'm sure I've read of a couple places that do this. Janet from Creative Gems Molds is the first place that comes to mind. http://www.creativegemsmolds.com/store/view_doc.php?view_doc=1 Heck, you can even do it yourself: http://www.smooth-on.com/ .

Henryk,

you're right, my CB-Advanced should be soft enough to cut. I don't have to hurry that much because we're planning very exactly, chosing the right glas for this project, the scents, the names, the covering box... so much to do, but still a little time left. I'm really excited because this will be for the big and exclusive fashion boutiques here in Germany:D

Thank you so much for your advice!

Oh - I was going to suggest CB Advanced too. As its very soft and seperates from the glass after it sets up but I wasn't sure what you are using as I noted you were in Germany. (Don't mean that to sound bad - just that maybe you were using waxes we don't have here).

Good luck! You would think something this simple would be easy huh ?

:)

Well, the only soy that's available in Europe is from Ecosoya - nothing else. But I've learned how to cope with it. I'm using cb135 for my containers, but I also have the cb-advanced in stock (lucky me!).

Yeah, also thought this would be easy ...pppfffff!

Oh

My

God

I really hope this works for you - as I'm afraid to ask what you paid for that.

I was thinking of a cheese slicer myself - who knew they made one with a heating element and measuring grids!

BTW, what the heck is that really used for ???? :)

PS - are you sure the custom mold idea wouldn't have been cheaper? :)

I meant to ask a question regarding these vertical candles before. If you're using a container, I wonder if it would be possible to go to a local hardware store and get some kind of rubber stopper and cut a hole in it to pour the wax in. It might be a pain, but if you had a big syringe, do you thing that might possibly work? I was discussing it with my boyfriend a while back. If you could find something that would fit the opening of the jar and tolerate the heat of the wax, it might just work. I dunno. Just throwing out an idea. Maybe I should attempt it! lol

Stephanie