BeesWax Help...

I was wondering if any of you beeswax candlemakers ever have this sae problem. Heres the deal.

If I use one wick, it leaves lots of hangup. The melt pool does not go all the way to the edge. BUT when I wick up one, the melt pool is fine but now the jar seems to get too hot. I really do not think it is hot to the point of breakage, but definately hotter than my regular candles. What are your opinons?

Maybe I should add more paraffin to the blend?

When people talk of blending BW with paraffin its for pillars. (I know the soy folks will "blend" it with container soy, but its really just as an additive - like 2 to 5% - not a real "blend" per se).

Since BW requires a hotter wick I'm not surprised your glass is getting hotter.

I am surprised that your wax is not pulling away so much that your melt pool wax is not spilling in between the sides of the glass and the unmelted wax - but that could be do to the percentage and/or the type of container paraffin you are using.

Personally, I have never heard of anyone using BW as an blend with paraffin for containers (for pillars, yes). I can tell you that the few experiences with straight BW containers have always left a shell - on purpose - for safety reasons according to the makers.

If it were me and I was set on using BW for containers with paraffin, I would use it as an additive only - not as a blending ingredient to create a new container wax blend.

JMO. :)

Thanks Henry. Actually Beeswax Blend containers are quite common here. They guy I make these for used to use another company. But she went OOB. I am using 25% BW and 75% J223. The wax is certainly smooth on the jar. I have never had a shell before, but had like a slight hang up that caught up as the container burned. I really want to have a full melt pool, but may have to settle for the hang-up. I'm using zincs specifically for the cooler burn.

The reason I use this beeswax is not for an additive, but becuase it is "his" wax. So therefore I am trying to get away with as high a % as I can possibly get. This stuff is certainly giving me a headache. LOL :laugh2:

Maybe its the 223 that is helping - I had just a sample of that and it was a pretty soft wax ... It does sound like you are on the right track as far as your testing goes - personally I would prefer a little hangup as opposed to too hot a jar - that would scare me. :)

I hope someone can help you more ...

Maybe its the 223 that is helping - I had just a sample of that and it was a pretty soft wax ... It does sound like you are on the right track as far as your testing goes - personally I would prefer a little hangup as opposed to too hot a jar - that would scare me. :)

I hope someone can help you more ...

Thanks Henry!

I was wondering if any of you beeswax candlemakers ever have this sae problem. Heres the deal.

If I use one wick, it leaves lots of hangup. The melt pool does not go all the way to the edge. BUT when I wick up one, the melt pool is fine but now the jar seems to get too hot. I really do not think it is hot to the point of breakage, but definately hotter than my regular candles. What are your opinons?

Maybe I should add more paraffin to the blend?

I would. I do beeswax/J223 blend and it took quite a bit to determine the exact % of beeswax. Also, since you are using zincs (I do too), try to find out if there is a "middle" size. Sometimes there is but its not that well known.

HTH