Has anyone used a laptop to enter credit cards into Propay at craft fairs?

Sndfrddy

I have a web site that I use Propay for my credit cards. My husband has a laptop where he can get wireless signals from many places while he's working (he's a restaurant food and equipment salesman). I'm doing a pretty big craft fair at a high school this weekend. Thinking if I can get a signal, about having his laptop there and then i can log into propay and enter peoples credit card right away there. Has anyone every done this? TIA

I already have the Authorize.net for my wetsite and they have the option to enter transactions directly into their wesbite for immediate approval. We live WAY , WAY out in the country so we don't get dsl or any high-speed internet connection, so for my sanity, I have the Cingular modem card. It is 49.99/mo for unlimited connection time. I am not about to maintain my website with a dial-up connection. I think you can get an adapter for your cell phone to use on notebooks, but you would be charged air-time, mine is unlimited. Works great!! Carole

My question is how secure is it? I can see it on your own wireless network that you can secure and control yourself. But picking up someone elses, that is also available to everyone else around you, how safe are the CC#'s flying around?

I don't understand your question. I have an account set up with authorize.net. In addition to handling my website business, they also give me the ability to key in my own transactions. Say for wholesale accounts, etc. It is my account with a secure login and password. The wireless modem is just a phone connection, outgoing only. I still use my Yahoo mail server. Did that help?? Carole

Bug, are you talking to me? :grin2:

I understand that your your account connection is secure with your password etc. And when you're connected via a land line that's one thing. Assuming it's a secure site and such, someone sitting 20 feet away from you couldn't intercept that info.

But on a wireless network, that info can be intercepted. I might trust my own wireless setup to be encrypted and such, but I'm not sure I would trust a wi-fi hot zone that's open to the public to be so secure.

Or am I misunderstanding something about public wi-fi areas?

• 4 months later...
I just post the pro-pay after the fact. I found out the hard way to make sure the number was legible, get the zip and a phone # in case there is a problem.

It works fine for me.

That's what I do. Make sure you ask for the billing zip code that goes with the actual cc they are using. Very important. I found out the hard way.

I know this is an older posting, but it is VERY important to emphasize. Never EVER use a wireless connection via laptop for secure transactions. That information can be retrieved by anyone with a wi-fi connection nearby.

If I understand correctly what Carole is using, it is EVDO and it isn't the same as wi-fi wireless. It is fairly new technology, was developed for business and IS secure. I use it as my main internet connection because I too live in the country with nothing else available except satellite (which I dealt with for several years). I use Verizon and it costs $60 a month for the high-speed Rev-A version. I have an aircard that is in my desktop (through a conversion card) that I can take out and put in a laptop. Very slick! :D