Wick Drowning Issue

We have been using ECO wicks in most of our candles. In the past they have worked great. Using CB-Pure/BW or combo in a 8 oz metro/status jar with #10 ECO.

Latley the candles have a good flame and melt pool with no mushroom on the first burn, but drown out on the second burn. The wick after the first burn is a stub about 1/8 to 1/4". This is a self trimming wick but we have never had this issue before.

Any suggestions?

When I originally got CB Pure for testing it did this to me all the time. From what you say I guess it can vary, but with that batch most of my wicks fried as you describe.

[speculation] I didn't experiment a lot to find the solution because I never embraced the wax, but it seems like the kind of problem where the chemical treatment of the wick could be a consideration. Overtrimming is a common symptom when the wick treatment isn't up to the job. Maybe CDN or LX NST 2 would work more reliably. [/speculation]

Post this on the NGI website too. The company rep that answers questions there seems to know what he's talking about.

I had the exact same thing with ECO12s in CB Advance. Perfect first burn, then a real small struggling 2nd burn. Looked like the wicks were coming apart.

I had tested and tested these, and was very happy with them. Made a whole batch, tested one, and it was aweful. I don't know if it was different batches of wick, or different batches of wax.

Remelted and switched to CD, and all seems fine, so I'm suspecting the wicks...

Boyd