Just wondering....

Fern

I recently started testing some container candles using two wicks. I was using the heavy, square with rounded edges glassware from Wally World...the ones that have an opening of approximately 3". I was testing them in Joy Wax because I had run out of J223 at the time and found that I got way better scent throw using two LX 12's rather then the 1 LX-28. Both cleaned up the sides nicely, however, the LX-28 took a while longer...actually...quite a bit longer. The two LX-12's burned a little quicker but very evenly; however, it never got to the point where the container was too hot. Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing or am I imagining this? :undecided

I don't know quite what you're asking? :confused:

Which size are you using? The smaller one (which is the one I THINK you are using) I have decided needs two wicks although I tried every wick imaginable to be able to get away with just one, but no luck.

I use IGI 1945 (pretty soft wax) and have good luck with two lx11's. ;)

The big glass dude, I have put away (before I throw it acrossed the room) b/c it is giving me headaches trying to find the right wicks for it (I think I have two pages worth of testing this creep :angry2: ).

Michi:

I guess what I was trying to say is...I can single wick this container and it burns fine but the scent throw is no where near as strong when I double wick it. Maybe I'm being dense here...but I just thought it was odd...I guess it's not. Oh my God...I guess I have lost my mind! LOL It's stronger because the melt pool is larger and hotter. What a dope! I guess I asked this question before I was fully awake...it was a late night last night. Everyone else who was going to reply to this...don't bother...I answered my own dumb question.:tongue2:

Don't feel "dumb" sometimes it takes just having it written out to "see the way" ;) LOL

Oh and yep, you're right the two wicks would have a bigger melt pool sooner, and therefore probably a better throw. :)

Oh and I can't believe you got that sucker to burn down cleanly with one wick, I'm jealous. LOL I think I tried every wick made to use just one and never got a clean burn. :angry2:

Did you try any of the LX wicks? One thing I do know is that you don't want to follow their suggestion chart on sizing. I had to wick way, way up in order to get them to perform properly. Now remember, I tested these in Joy Wax a very soft and greasy wax. The only thing I hated about the Joy Wax and why I switched to J223 was that it caused horrible mushrooming in all my wicks...and I don't even use zinc, which are notorius for that and not every scent would throw in it...because it is mostly soy. I have no idea how that would work for you in 1945 because I have never used that wax. Regarding that big mother of container...I have one too. My sister gave it to me because she thought I'd want to make a candle out of it. I haven't even attempted to wick it...and don't think I will any time soon.

I gotta ask this question and it is stupid I know BUT,,,do you twine the wicks together or do you just put 2 in?? I use the Kerr jars right now but I saw at our wal-mart the thick glass heart and I am scared to try it( but I love hearts) and how would I do it??? I use zinc core and J223 & 4786,,,:undecided Im going to buy the sample wicks of the cotton core and the HTP,,guess I should pick up some LX's too,,,,,:confused:

I used 2 LX-12's...about 1 inch apart...could be a little less....what I'm going for is equal space all around the wicks and sides of the container so that I get a nice even burn. My J223 is finally here, so I've got a tester going right now in the Wally World container scented with Love Spell. Not exactly a favorite of mine, but it's for a friend...and man does it have nice throw. It's burning beautiful right now and no mushrooms like I had with the Joy Wax. Regarding the heart containers...I've seen members who have posted those in the Gallery...I think it was on the old site...and they used three wicks for those. I don't know what size they used but I'm sure someone will let you know once they see this post.

I used 2 LX-12's...about 1 inch apart...could be a little less....what I'm going for is equal space all around the wicks and sides of the container so that I get a nice even burn. My J223 is finally here, so I've got a tester going right now in the Wally World container scented with Love Spell. Not exactly a favorite of mine, but it's for a friend...and man does it have nice throw. It's burning beautiful right now and no mushrooms like I had with the Joy Wax. Regarding the heart containers...I've seen members who have posted those in the Gallery...I think it was on the old site...and they used three wicks for those. I don't know what size they used but I'm sure someone will let you know once they see this post.

Thanks Fern,,,,Ill go to the archives and take a peek until someone posts,,:grin2: