How to Clean up Wax

Depends on where you spilled it...

Hard surfaces like counters and floors can often be scraped. In carpets, scrape off any excess, then put a stack of paper towels(2 or 3) or flattened brown paper grocery bags over the wax and use a warm iron. The iron melt the wax and the paper absorbs it.

Assuming a hard surface...

Straight edge razors are small but really good at getting under the edge of the wax after it's cool and popping chunks of it off. If you happen to have a heat gun your life will be easier. Once you remove the big pieces, any residue can be melted with the heat gun and wiped up with a paper towel. This technique is especially effective for conditioning parquet floors. :cheesy2:

Dye stains can be removed with oils (cooking oil works) or certain solvents (WD-40 comes to mind as something that might be around the house, more or less equivalent to mineral spirits). Keep the latter away from heat and flame and make sure it won't damage the surface.

I spilled some wax on my silestone countertops, and used the paper towel/iron method. I just made sure to scrape up as much as I could, then laid out paper towel, covered with newspaper, then ironed it all up. I've also found that orange cleaner stuff to be pretty effective in cleaning up the residue.

Good luck :wink2:

I use a paint scraper and heat gun. The paint scraper gets off at least 99% (if it isn't on the carpet), and the heat gun with paper towels gets up the rest.

I've had a few carpet disasters (children you know....) and the iron with paper bags worked perfectly. You never even knew that the boy knocked the candle on the floor and sent wax flying all over the living room.

DanaE

Guest ShellyRobyn

I use plastic scrapers (that they use in food service), heat gun and OOPS! Love that OOPS! It's great for cleaning dye and molds too. I use it for molds after I've made red candles. I hate when I make a light color candle and it has a tinge of pink! :undecided

Thanks guys! Wouldn't you know it I was making red and a deep red of all things. I added extra dye. I got it up off the floor now I have to work at my stove and oven (only a couple months old). The candles seem great, color is awesome and scent seems much better than when I added extra vybar!! :-)