3layer votives help

I was trying to make a three layer votive and I got a kit from michaels I poured my wax at 200 and put it in the freezer and when it got hard I poured another color and put back in the freezer and and when it got hard I poured another color and back in the freezer and when hard I toke it out and you could see the lines from when I poured the next color and I think little bubbles what am I doing wrong??????????? Help please thanks.

Your layers won't stick together if you make each layer totally solid before pouring the next. Now, a votive has to be burned in a votive holder so it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but if you make a pillar that way you will have major problems with wax running out the breaks.

I like doing layers in my pillar candles, and i assume it works the same for other types of candles. I wait til the previous layer has half set before i pour on the next layer. There should be a thick skin of relatively set wax on top, which, if u touch it, just moves slightly but doesn't bulge. If it bulges the wax underneath is usually too hot. If you pour the new layer when the wax is too hot, you can burst this skin and the colours mix (which can sometimes look quite nice, other times not!). I pour each layer the same temp, as if your doing a number of layers its silly to keep increasing the temp! (I do the repour wax hotter though).

If you can't touch it, say the wax is too deep in the mould, one way (though less easier to tell i find) is to tilt the candle and if you see the wax moving underneath the skin on top (it bulges say), then its too hot. As soon as it stops bulging then its fine to pour the top layer, though pour it carefully so you reduce the risk of it bursting the bottom layer! (which i find can also happen if the new wax your pouring is too hot!). One way i find is, if the mould is big enough, vary where on the candle the new wax forms.

Anyway hope this makes sense and helps

:cool2: