3 wick pillar

Just made a 5x51/2 3 wick pillar, weight 3 lbs 6 oz. What size wick to use with this and also a good price for it. I use the zinc wicks in my pillars, I like the fact they stand up straight when burning and do not bend at the tip. Thanks in advance for help.

Unfortunately, the only way to figure out the wick is to start trying some. I'd suggest a votive size wick to start. Without knowing what mp the wax is, there is no sure way to know except to keep trying till you find the perfect wick. As for cost, you are going to be surprised how much it costs you to make that large candle. Figure out what you pay per ounce for the wax, fo, then the wicks, additives, so on. Then at least double that for retail. Those puppies are heavy & lots of people will balk at the price. I don't make very many, but I do sell a few.

Pam R

I have made a few 6x6 3 wick pillars. They are a big candle to test on. I finally after testing about five different wick, I had a good burn with good melt pool. I think I settled on a 36 ply. Even then I wasn't totally happy with it. I have never sold one because I never felt I had it wicked to a paying customers satisfaction. I may give it another try with CandleMan's suggestion of four wicks. If you are new to candlemaking I would perfect like a 3x3 or 3x4.5 first. Partly because the bigger candles use soooooo much wax to test. Just a thought. Good luck

If you use wick pins when making the candle then it's easier to test wicks. Of course you have to use a wax primed wick to be able to slide in the wick hole. If that wick does not work you just pull that wick, level the top of the candle again then insert new wicks to test. If you are making your candles with paraffin, Zink wicks work good on pillars.

Well - I'am posting to my own post - I decided to use the Hemp 60048 wick for candle, can't remember why I ordered them though - forgot to mention it is made with IGI 4625 wax and scented with nutcracker from WSSP at 1 & 1/4 oz per lb. It smells delicious! and is burning great. Been burning since 8:30 this am. I did turn off the ceiling fan, they seem to not be good for pillars, even though my is always on, but just not right now. Got to get busy - spend way to much time at forums:yay: