HELP!! More crazy questions!!

blueisland

Ok , I just made my first batch of whipped butter . It looks great , feels good but a little greasy ! IT stinks like S@#t!! I added some fragrance but that sticks too. Are their better fragrances to add to cover the unrefined smell??Do I need to melt back down to add more butter or cornstarch? Thanks again!! Amy

I've found that when making butters using the unrefined shea butter, that I have to use/find FO's that compliment/go with/marry well with the shea scent-some FO's just full on clash, at least in my opinion. Some don't cover the scent at all, and you just need to find some that work with it.

That is MY experience with unrefined, which I still use, since it is the best for your skin, since none of the good stuff is taken out.

HTH a little. ;)

Why would you need to melt it back down and add more butter or cornstarch??

I've found it hard to get a true scent even using the refined shea. It's not as "off" as with the unrefined, but the product does smell slightly different than the same fo in other products such as body spray, etc. Still experimenting!

Ok , I just made my first batch of whipped butter . It looks great , feels good but a little greasy ! IT stinks like S@#t!! I added some fragrance but that sticks too. Are their better fragrances to add to cover the unrefined smell??Do I need to melt back down to add more butter or cornstarch? Thanks again!! Amy

What Michi said. Also, as far as the greasy feeling. That is the nature of shea. Butters are greasy. Try using less on your skin. My whipped butter is on the firm side so I just rub my fingers across the top and then use the melted stuff that is on my fingers. That is plenty for both hands. Do not use the same amount of butters that you would lotion. Lotion is mostly water so it soaks in/evaporates. Butters don't.

• 1 month later...

Is the butter stinky in the jar? I made my first batch a few weeks ago and found that I just couldn't get rid of that "nutty" shea smell while in the jar...but once we rubbed it in & waited a few minutes, the FO just jumped out. I used Oakmoss from lonestar which is rather strong, but in my latest batch I used a really soft Coconut Garden FO...same nutty smell in the jar, but full scent once rubbed on.

Sharon

I've found that when making butters using the unrefined shea butter, that I have to use/find FO's that compliment/go with/marry well with the shea scent-some FO's just full on clash, at least in my opinion. Some don't cover the scent at all, and you just need to find some that work with it.

That is MY experience with unrefined, which I still use, since it is the best for your skin, since none of the good stuff is taken out.

HTH a little. ;)

Why would you need to melt it back down and add more butter or cornstarch??

Sharon, like I said earlier in this thread the unrefined shea scent is hard to mask, in my experience you need to find a fragrance that compliments (and sometimes covers) it.

The last batch I did, I scented it with Amish Harvest from Peak, and that nutty scent of the shea really compliments/goes with this scent, yes I still smell it a bit, but no one has complained of it "stinking" like when I've used other scents. ;)