Probably a Stupid Question

wenebara

I do have a container used exclusively for lye, but that's for 2 reasons - 1. I'ts the perfect size and I'd be pissed if it wasn't available and 2. any oil residue would be bad news. And by chance I have 2 crockpots so do leave one for soaping. But everything else I use for both soap and cooking. The bowls wash out well (unless you get a FO residue, which I haven't) and so do the utensils.

If I had space or $$ I might get separate sets... someday...

My opinion - some things. Any plastic or wood? No way, they are pourous. Metal or glass? Sure - if it can be cleaned well. It's just soap. My lye pitcher? No, even though it can be cleaned well, it just freaks me out.

I agree completely on both counts. I keep my wooden soap spoons in a different drawer. The lye eats away at them. My pitcher has LYE and POISON all over it in Sharpie marker.

I've got to agree with everyone on this. All of my soaping stuff is separate from my cooking stuff. I don't even use my KA for cooking. It is strictly for soaping. Same with my candle stuff.

PS. At first I laughed at your handle - I thought it said Weineebra. I thought WTH a bra for your weiner!! Now I have heard of everything. Geesh - now I know I need to wear glasses. LOL

Yeah, I'm with you guys on this one and I'm quite paranoid about leaving any of the dishes used for soap out to dry for fear someone in my house might use it....even if I soaped at 1 AM ;)

I'm with Bunny and e. on this. Plastic and wood are no-no's. If it's glass, stainless steel, or my ceramic crock pot I make sure to clean it really, really well before using it for food and likewise before soaping.

I keep my soaping, candle, and cooking stuff seperate. The only reason why I was able to do this is GARAGE SALES! :D I got a set of metal mixing bowls and a set of glass mixing bowls at garage sales over the years and they are kept seperate from my plastic bowls that I use to measure my wax in and my good metal mixing bowls I use for baking and stuff. I've also managed to pick up two crock pots and a presto pot at garage sales! The only thing that crosses the line is my KA mixer but I have a seperate bowl and wisk for BB stuff and for cooking. So in a way they are still seperated. I am fortunate enough to have the storage space for all my bowls. But I just couldn't see using my nice expensive mixing bowls that I got for cooking for making my product in (plus I think my hub would shoot me if I did! he's already having a cow about me using my KA! LOL).

My hints for finding bowls and such: Craig's List, FreeCycle, Thrift stores and the ol' stand by - garage sales! You can get alot of things for super cheap (sometimes even free if you go pick them up) and that way keep your stuff seperate. We don't want any OOPS's....

Life & Light!

Tish

Wenebara is Latin for Jennifer. :D

I've got to agree with everyone on this. All of my soaping stuff is separate from my cooking stuff. I don't even use my KA for cooking. It is strictly for soaping. Same with my candle stuff.

PS. At first I laughed at your handle - I thought it said Weineebra. I thought WTH a bra for your weiner!! Now I have heard of everything. Geesh - now I know I need to wear glasses. LOL

Wenebara is Latin for Jennifer. :D

Well Welcome to you Wenebara/Jennifer. :) I must learn to really pay attention when reading cuz when I don't, I read things all wrong. LOL I know some have pretty funny handles but I thought yours was really funny until I looked at your name closer and realized it was not anything like what I thought I had read. :embarasse :)

I agree completely on both counts. I keep my wooden soap spoons in a different drawer. The lye eats away at them. My pitcher has LYE and POISON all over it in Sharpie marker.

Yep, me too--I wrote all over my lye pitcher so that no one will use it, cuz it just scares me to think of someone thinking my cooling lye water is just plain old water or something. icon_eek.gif

I also noticed that my wooden spoon I use for mixing the lye water and soap, is being eaten away-freaky-scary!!

I DO use some smaller glass bowls (for weighing oils, mixing colorants with oils, and mixing colorant into small batches of soap for swirling) that we use for food, but I figure it's soap right? And they get washed by hand really well, and then run through the dishwasher, so they should be EXTRA clean. ;)