I've been making and selling soap/body products for 9 years and am ready to venture into candle making beginning with jar candles to compliment my soaps. I've used the one pour waxes but this feels like cheating in a 'melt and pour' soap making sort of way. I would rather develop my own personal blend and get a 'feel' for wax and candle making. Although the FO's I use for my soaps seem to be more expensive, I understand I can use those in candles as well; I really want the scents to match exactly with my soaps. I'm thinking of purchasing several different types of waxes, wicks, and colorants and begin experimenting now to be ready by this time next year (hopefully). I've glanced through and printed the VERY helpful TIPS and FAQ's for newbies (that I will be reading today at my real job when the boss isn't watching) but if anyone can give me a push as to what would be a good starting point with waxes and supplies I would be greatful. Also, my santa saver is ready to kick into my checking account so $ isn't too much of an object. Thank you.

Let me tell you-candle making is difficult enough without trying to make your own custom blend. If I were you I'd stick with the blends that are already out there. Don't feel like it's cheating, it's there to make our jobs easier. What you really need to concentrate on is the wicks-some fo's are harder to wick than others. You need to get a starter kit of wicks. Get a few of them all and try different wicks in your candles and keep testing. When you've found what works you'll do great. I like IGI 4630 container wax. It's great to work with and so smooth and creamy looking after you get done pouring and the scent throw is real good hot and cold. I like Bitter Creek North for scents and Aztec Intl for scents too. Goodluck and if I can be of anymore help just let me know.

Guest amynleebishop

I agree with slyfox. I just started using the 4630 and I love it. I was an old faithful of the 1275 until now. It really is a preference and what works best for you!!! I would master the art of using the already made blends and get it down to a science then next yr at this time you may have a handle on it to be able to start creating your own blends. Good luck and have fun!!!