cure result

Hey guys!

I've been curing a few GB444 candles for months now, and they're exhibiting some frosting on the top. I know that soy is famous for frosting, but I hardly ever get any :yay: . Does this happen to all soys that don't get burned after awhile, or is it a some do some don't kind of thing?

TY,

Kat

Out of the box, soy waxes generally aren't stable over time. They keep changing. Exactly how they change depends on the wax, the fragrance oil, how you made them, the environmental conditions and whether the republicans or democrats are in office.

For instance, when I was working with CB-135 it was easy to make perfect looking candles, but they'd start getting a powdery frost sitting around for a month or more. The wax would also swell so that a 1/4" wick would turn into 1/8" and after several months some got mostly swallowed.

If I remember right, 444 is a cottonseed blend too. Those can sometimes come out more pretty when they're made. At the expense of some scent throw, it gives you a little longer to unload them (or burn them) before they go downhill.

I agree w/TOP, and will also add that it depends on whether or not you're holding your mouth right...lol.

And TY TOP for the tidbit about the swelling- I did not know that. I wondered what happened to my tins I made last year....now I have to sell them for candlewarmers, but that is not a bad thing 'cause they work great!!

Yikes...is there any shelf life to soy candles? I currently use CB135 and have several that have been sitting around for a few months and they seem ok...gosh..there are so many variables to soy wax...I really wish I wasn't so anal about using it...I keep feeling the tug to come over to the dark side and use a blend...lol :tiptoe:

I have some a year old that are fine. Now they HAVE developed some frosting, but I'm one who doesn't care about that and neither do my customers.

The issue for me is burning more sluggishly in colder weather. I have two choices: Wick for summertime (which is when I sell a LOT of candles at farmer's market -- also I have a lot of website customers who live in the desert southwest where it's hot). Then the candles will burn a bit more slowly in winter and might leave a bit of hang-up on the jars.

OR I can wick hotter for wintertime burning in colder climates, and risk having people's jars getting too hot and cracking in summer/warmer climates.

For me, I'd rather be safe and risk having slight hang-up over letting jars get too hot with bigger wicks.

Hope that made sense. Only had one cuppa Joe this a.m. ;)

Edited to add: I'm one soy chandler who doesn't mind appearance issues because I am shooting for great scent throw.

For me, I'd rather be safe and risk having slight hang-up over letting jars get too hot with bigger wicks.

I agree. I have one jar that either leaves some hang up and then catches up, or burning clean throughout but getting too hot. I rather have the hang up too, especially if it catches up in the end.

If it's any consolation, I make both soy candles and paraffin. In my experience, I have more trouble with my PARAFFIN candles not aging well. Although my soy candles are fine after a year, and some of my paraffin candles are fine after a year, some paraffin ones have trouble with weeping fo over a period of time. Mostly the vanilla-based fo's. Never have trouble with my soy candles weeping EVER. Well, only once, and that was when I heat-gun zapped a top. Never again. LOL

I just remind customers that these are fresh, hand-poured candles and they have great scent throw. But they do not have indefinite shelf life. Think of them like high-quality food items. Gourmet, even! But they won't last forever, so enjoy them NOW. heh heh

Most of us handcrafters aren't making products that can sit in a warehouse for six months then pine away on a store shelf for 5 years and still look good! :wink2:

Once you've made them, it's important to store them properly too. I keep mine boxed up in a cool, dark room. They never see sunlight or much variation in temperature.

Like Crafty, I've had paraffin based candles (usually containers) that have wept FO over time. The very worst FO wept onto the sides and bottom of the jar leaving brown patches.

Boyd.

Yikes...is there any shelf life to soy candles? I currently use CB135 and have several that have been sitting around for a few months and they seem ok...gosh..there are so many variables to soy wax...I really wish I wasn't so anal about using it...I keep feeling the tug to come over to the dark side and use a blend...lol :tiptoe:
NG says their products have an indefinite shelf life. I assume that means the candles won't spoil, spontaneously combust, or implode into an alternate dimension. Anything else is possible, if not inevitable. Keep a few CB-135 candles around for longer and they will change in some way(s).