wicking hot baked apple pie

I am having some trouble with finding the right wick for my hot baked apple pie. I am using 10oz dodecagon jar and j50 wax with 44-24-18 wicks and 1oz fragrance per lb of wax. This is normally what i use for most of my other fragrances sometimes I have to wick up but never down from the 44-24-18z. My problem is that about 3/4 down the wick gets lost or sometimes moves to the side scent throw is awesome. Two friends of mine were testing it and they gave them both to me and said they smelled great but the wicks got lost in the wax. Should I wick down if so what is smaller than a 24 I know there is a 20 but I use it for my 4oz dodecagon and it does nicely. I use a 24 in my 8oz jj and it does well in the apple pie fragrance as well. Is there a such thing as a 44-22-18z. Need help on this please.

Guest amynleebishop
I am having some trouble with finding the right wick for my hot baked apple pie. I am using 10oz dodecagon jar and j50 wax with 44-24-18 wicks and 1oz fragrance per lb of wax. This is normally what i use for most of my other fragrances sometimes I have to wick up but never down from the 44-24-18z. My problem is that about 3/4 down the wick gets lost or sometimes moves to the side scent throw is awesome. Two friends of mine were testing it and they gave them both to me and said they smelled great but the wicks got lost in the wax. Should I wick down if so what is smaller than a 24 I know there is a 20 but I use it for my 4oz dodecagon and it does nicely. I use a 24 in my 8oz jj and it does well in the apple pie fragrance as well. Is there a such thing as a 44-22-18z. Need help on this please.

I used the J50 and everyone told me to wick up and I did and I tested and they mushroomed. So I used the size I normally would for the 1275 and they also mushroomed. So, I had to wick down with the J50. I have not had any problems with the wicks getting lost. Are you hot glueing your wicks in your jars and putting a clip on it while they cure? I bought these great wick clips from candles and supplies. I have tried lots of other methods but I love these. ;)

I'm sorry I should have been more clear. The wick goes down into the wax or it will get so liquified it moved to the side of the jar. This is only happening with this particular fragrance. Yes i hot glue them and yes I have wick clips from candles and supplies but i prefer to use metal hangers cut to about 4 or 5 inch sticks and wrap wick around the stick then when candle is solid I just take nail clippers and clip it off. Works great and wick is taut. I was looking on net and I seen 36-24-18z but they are for votives I reaaly need help with this one because everybody likes this fragrance and I sell alot of it in the jjs. I maybe getting a fundraiser soon and i want it to burn like the rest do.

Guest amynleebishop
I'm sorry I should have been more clear. The wick goes down into the wax or it will get so liquified it moved to the side of the jar. This is only happening with this particular fragrance. Yes i hot glue them and yes I have wick clips from candles and supplies but i prefer to use metal hangers cut to about 4 or 5 inch sticks and wrap wick around the stick then when candle is solid I just take nail clippers and clip it off. Works great and wick is taut. I was looking on net and I seen 36-24-18z but they are for votives I reaaly need help with this one because everybody likes this fragrance and I sell alot of it in the jjs. I maybe getting a fundraiser soon and i want it to burn like the rest do.

Ok....you said you only have this problem with this FO.

1. Is this a new batch of wax?

2. Have you used this wax only with this FO?

3. If not what are the others doing?

I had something similar happen to me but it was the wax that was the problem. I had a such a big melt pool that the wick was barely long enough to stay lit. Almost like it drowned. Opposite you though the Baked Apple was the only FO that was not being affected by the bad batch of wax.

I only use j50 and zinc wicks that is all I have ever tested. I told the owner of the local candle making supply shop where i buy my wax i was thinking about experimenting with another wax and different wicks but he said why if this works for you. Each candle was from a different batch of wax but from the same supplier. I am less than 50 miles from Pittsburgh so I buy my j50 from Early American Candle Supply. I use scents from NG. It sounds like my wicks are drowning which means they are burning too fast right. I am getting 60 hours sometimes more from my 10oz jar in every other scent. This one goes until about 3/4 down the jar then gets lost in the wax. What is smaller than a 44-24-18. Or should i try another type of wick for this particular scent. Or do you know of a better apple pie scent that smells like the pie and not just apples and cinnamon. I changed hot baked apple pie to warm apple spice because i cannot smell any pie to this but stills smells very nice and strong.

I am testing a 8 oz jj now with J50,and hot apple pie fo.I have a 44-28 in it,and it is burning fine.I use wick stickums,when I used hot glue sometimes my wicks would come loose.Try the 44-20,and see how they burn with this fo.Maybe someone will tune in and give you a answer.Wicking can be so frustrating(SP).

Anna

Guest amynleebishop
I only use j50 and zinc wicks that is all I have ever tested. I told the owner of the local candle making supply shop where i buy my wax i was thinking about experimenting with another wax and different wicks but he said why if this works for you. Each candle was from a different batch of wax but from the same supplier. I am less than 50 miles from Pittsburgh so I buy my j50 from Early American Candle Supply. I use scents from NG. It sounds like my wicks are drowning which means they are burning too fast right. I am getting 60 hours sometimes more from my 10oz jar in every other scent. This one goes until about 3/4 down the jar then gets lost in the wax. What is smaller than a 44-24-18. Or should i try another type of wick for this particular scent. Or do you know of a better apple pie scent that smells like the pie and not just apples and cinnamon. I changed hot baked apple pie to warm apple spice because i cannot smell any pie to this but stills smells very nice and strong.

I agree with Trish~ You may need to wick up. I only use two types of wicks...the zinc core and the heinz core. What is the circumference of your jars? I would not wick down to the 28-24's unless you are getting mushrooming b/cuz these are for tea lights and smaller votives. If you wick up to the 51-32-18's you should be fine. If this does not work, it has to be a bad batch of wax. It is exactly what mine were doing. When yours burn do they burn the whole circumference of the jars? How many times have you re-poured those candles?? I did at least a dozen times thinking it was the wicks. The baked apple pie I buy from Candles and supplies in 5 gallon buckets b/cuz I make sooooo many this time of yr. I have never gotten it from anywhere else that smelled as great as this one does.

My jar is 3" diameter and 3.75" high. I am getting melt to sides of glass but after about 3/4 down wick sways to side. Melt pool is too large I guess I should not say drowning because my friend blew out the candle and when she went to light it again she couldn't because wick was gone inside the wax. My other friend said that her wick went all the way to the side of jar and that is why she could not light it. I used 44-24-18 with both of them. Except 5 of my fragrances I can use this wick in all my 10oz jars. If I try the 51 and melt pool is already big won't this make it bigger. That confuses me all the time. I test all the time but this 10oz jar I pretty much hit it right off the bat. I started experimenting with the 24s first. I think I will wick up on one and wick down on one. And burn them side by side. Thank you everybody for your suggestions.

Stephanie