How much do you stock up for craft shows?

I've signed up for four Christmas shows this year and am trying to get a general idea how much to stock up. I live in a city of over 120,000 people. One of the shows had over 11,000 customers over 2 days last year. The other three are in smaller community halls.

Basically I have

votives

8 oz mason jars

tarts

tealights

room sprays

grubby cans (this involves alot of work)

I can't even begin to tell you how many fragrances I have on hand but I'm trying to eliminate them down to about 5-6 scents for each category (Xmas,Bakery,Floral,Woods/Nature & Aroma)

Although candles are my main feature I also have handcrafted items which will be added as well but those I'm not too worried about.

How much do you normally stock and what would you recommend? This would help me greatly for my next order of supplies.

:0)

Good question...I too am doing my very first craft show in November. I have NO CLUE as to what to stock...but have been told to select your BEST scents, about 5 to 6 choices and go from there. For example I sell pet treats, soaps, candle melts, bath bombs etc....For each product I am choosing around 5 scents/5 flavors, then I will have about 8-12 of those scents/flavors.

My show is over a period of 3 days...12 hours on 2 of the days, and 8 on the last day. I just hope I don't run out...lol

Any other pointers would be GREAT!!!

It all depends on your crowd. Some crowds are huge and not buyers, but others only have a few in attendence but they all come prepared to buy. I have a show TODAY (big one) that falls somewhere in the middle. They buy if something new catches their eye. Alllll day yesterday I was making tub truffles, filling lotion bottles, even poured some MP soap since I figured I need to use it up (I'm taking it out of my line). I have discovered one thing about people who go to this show and that's that they like seeing a LOT of stuff, not necessarily everything in every scent. I notice I do better when my table is overflowing with all kinds of things in a few varied scents than if I just have 10 of the same scents of 3 things. It also leads them to look at new products (Oh you don't have China Rain in lotion? No but check out my China Rain soap & incense! Hmmm, I've always wanted to try incense. I'll take the lotion in Sandalwood Rose AND the China Rain soap & incense. Ka-ching! $$$)

...For each product I am choosing around 5 scents/5 flavors, then I will have about 8-12 of those scents/flavors.

My show is over a period of 3 days...12 hours on 2 of the days, and 8 on the last day. I just hope I don't run out...lol

Any other pointers would be GREAT!!!

I just saw a post where a gal sold almost 400 candles in a 3 day show event. You'll be selling 8-12 products for each of the 5 scents? It seems pretty low for such a huge event.

Here I thought I would need to make about 50-100 votives of each scent (25-30 scents) for all 4 shows if someone could just give me a better idea of what's the rule of thumb to go by. Any more inputs??

For me about 10 to 12 of a scent is great as I have about 14 different soap products, bath salts, bath bombs, and all my Doggie Treat goodies. My main product is the treats...so for me the candles etc are secondary and I dont need a TONNE.

For those of you who only sell candles, bath and body etc...I can see needing a heck of a lot more...so good questions here :)

Good luck at your show....

Take as much stock as you can.....

The worst thing is to run out of something. There really is no way to gauge a show before you have actually done it yourself. Take more of your best selling scents. You probably don't need an equal amount of everything. Sorry but there is no rule of thumb...there are just too many variables... Hope you enjoy the events.

Janette

In candles I can show 66 fragrances stocked 3 deep. The popular ones I bring another 2-6 that I keep under the display. Melts or tarts did well as I don't charge a lot for them.. they are placed to get people into the booth, next to the register. I am going to stock them a bit deeper. I had 32 of each in bins and they looked a bit picked over by the end of this last show. It's really hard until you do a show a few times to get a feel for the stock to carry. I ran out of a bunch of things this past weekend so will adjust for the next 2 day show.