Vanilla Stabilizer making MP soap stinky?

ilovescents

Hi everyone,

Newbie here but lurked for a while :wink2: . I've just started making MP Goat Milk Soap. I bought my supplies from WSP. I love everything vanilla so I also bought their Vanilla Stabilizer. I made several soap bars yesterday scented with Mango Papaya, Purely Peppermint, Vanilla Buttercreme and really love the creamy soap and fragrances but it has a lingering "waxy" scent after showering with it. I tested all 3 scents with the same results. I used the vanilla stabilizer on all 3 scents since each one of them had vanilla according to the label. The goat milk soap base doesn't have any scent at all because I washed my hands with the unscented base and didn't have that waxy scent. I was wondering if it's the vanilla stabilizer. I will make some more soap later without the stabilizer and see what happens. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this with their goat milk soap or by using the vanilla stabilizer. Thanks for any feedback. I love this board!

I have the vanilla stabilizer from WSP and it sure does stink OOB-I kept thinking "there is NO way this smell/stench is going to dissipate in this soaps, it's going to totally overpower the scent"-- but the few batches that I've used it in have not had a "waxy" or funky scent when all was said and done, just the scent came through.

Like you said, your best test will be to test it again without the stabilizer.

I just want to post a follow-up on my original post and thank Michi for her response. It was the vanilla stabilizer causing the unpleasant smell in my goat milk soap. The new batch I made without the stabilizer was just perfect. I found a NEW ADDICTION! Now, I make sure to have my candle and soap making supplies delivered when hubby is not home. :wink2: I enjoy opening the boxes when I'm all alone, LOL!

that's odd. I've used their stabilizer for a few years now, and never had that problem. I don't use GM soap though because I think *it* has a weird odor ~ noses are very differerent LOL

Oh that's true! I wonder, ilovescents, if you use it w/ a different base you'll feel the same. I actually like the smell of WSP's goat's milk base. I sell it without scenting it :tiptoe: .