Safe embeds

Henryk

I just cannot find this post - but I swear it was in this forum and someone posted that in gel candles the embeds you use also have to be made with gel-safe FOs. Is that true? Because in another thread on this forum is about listings of embed sellers (http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19594) - and I went to some of them, found what I wanted, but there is nothing on them that specifically say they use "gel safe" FOs yet it appears others are buying and using them in gel candles.

Is it something I need to be concerned about?

TIA

Hi Henry, not sure if you read something I wrote previously however when we started with gels back in 1998, (and believe me there was not alot of info back then,) we contacted Penreco and the FO houses we dealt with and although polarity was a new issue at that time(Penreco did not even advocate the use of fragrances at that time either until they set out % guidelines etc.) we were advised to use only non polar fragrancing in our embeds as well as our gel. To date all the embeds we supply and use are made with non polar fragrances at the same ratio as suggested per lb. of gel not the suggested rate for the paraffin.

As Vickie said, it stands to reason as your products melt and mix together the components become one. Any reputable supplier will be forthcoming in what they use for their embeds, drop them a line and ask.

Our lines of bakery type items have been going strong for 7 yrs now although preserves have definately dropped off the best sell list. We still do a fair amount of scene type gels however 90% are double glassed with a soy or paraffin insert. They seem to sell better this way, customers prefer the "forever" aspect and we can be more creative with the items we use in them to create the design. The only ones we do not double glass are straight gel with no embeds etc. flutes, wine glasses, our Christmas gift packages etc.

A good gel candle with throw can be achieved, it takes time and testing just like any other wax product. Your pies look great and I hope you continue with them!

Wendy