Opinions on Pillar Wax

For all of you making the rustics with the 1343, do you not find that it losses it's shape when burning? I have 4 cases of it & love the look, but wish it was a tad harder. Candlewic is out of the question since I am in Texas. I'd love to try the 4045, but the shipping would be murder. Just wondered about the sagginess of the 1343.

Pam R

Yes, it will bulge. Mottles are worse than Rustics for me.

You can use the 4625 for rustics, but it's tricky..

What's the trick? I made a rustic with 4625, and it did create the effect, but not as much as I would have liked. I melted to 175 and poured at 152 (if I remember correctly). It didn't turn out as "rustic" as I had expected. :cry2:

You know I'm not getting a noticeable bulge or sagginess, but I've got additives in the wax that make it harder. I'm getting good burns IMO.

I 've been adding some clear beads, but might not be adding enough. Is that what you use to harden the 1343?

Thanks

Pam R

What's the trick? I made a rustic with 4625, and it did create the effect, but not as much as I would have liked. I melted to 175 and poured at 152 (if I remember correctly). It didn't turn out as "rustic" as I had expected. :cry2:

I'm pretty sure that the 4625 pre-blended wax has some vybar 103 in it, which can kill the mottle effect and also effects the frost effect.

Try a straight paraffin like IGI 1343 or candlewic's 4045H for better results...also vybar 343 is designed to not kill the mottle.

Here is a description of vybar 343: the last one on the bottom of the page..:smiley2:

http://www.candlewic.com/store/category.aspx?q=cWax+Additives

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I prefer to use the 4045H from Candlewic, but I have made some pretty darn good rustics with some IGI 4625 that I had lying around. I know that it's a pre-blend that requires no additives, but I went ahead and added an additional 1tbs/pp of stearic, and have had some very good results.

If anyone is wondering, I added the stearic to try and produce more frosting. Seemed to help somewhat, but that may just be a coincidence.....